Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

dead buck question?

It is going to depend on the local CO. I found a huge buck in Van Buren county 10 years ago during shotgun season that had been dead for some time. I called the CO and asked if I could put one of my tags on it or if I had to get a salvage tag and he said I couldn't touch it because there was a poaching problem in the area. He refused to issue me a salvage tag and that was that. I left it. It didn't make sense to me but that's how he handled it.

Like Muddy stated 9 times out of 10 you will get a salvage tag and from the quote above it appears that CO didn't want to give one for this particular big buck. I would assume it will come down to several factors. CO's mood, person who found it's residents, time of year, along side the road or in the woods, poaching in area or not? Plenty of factors.
Yep pretty sure the funny feeling won't fly, I am keeping my fingers crossed I don't find a 200"er dead.

I would think that if you have a tag available for a date that is in season, there should be no problem tagging a dead deer or a live deer.

I wouldn't recommend trying to tag a live deer.

This is stupid. Next thing you know you'll have to get salvage tags to shed hunt

Really? If you could just pick up a any dead head with out a tag whats to discourage someone from just shooting bucks and letting them lay for the yotes to clean up and then collecting the head.

I would think that if you have a tag available for a date that is in season, there should be no problem tagging a dead deer or a live deer.

I wouldn't recommend trying to tag a live deer.

LOL.. I'm on heavy pain meds.. I should have proof read that a little better. Although, we may have found a new sport for the Xgames..

Now that this is brought up, what about bucks you have mounted over the yrs?How long are you supposed to keep your used tags?

I couldn't see putting a bow tag on a dead deer that might have been shot with a gun and not recovered.

Either do I and yes I would just cut the horns off if I come

across one. No way I am going to lose a bow tag for a rack unless

it is my own.

Really? If you could just pick up a any dead head with out a tag whats to discourage someone from just shooting bucks and letting them lay for the yotes to clean up and then collecting the head.

Who would want to do that?? That's stupid reasoning right there

Who would want to do that?? That's stupid reasoning right there

Who would want to do that? A poacher would and it is the very reason it is difficult to get a salvage tag from some CO's. Shoot it, leave it lay, come back later and get a salvage tag, keep hunting with your infilled tag.

So in all reality, anyone that is picking up these dead bucks without having them checked out should be labeled as a poacher? Maybe they were shot, and now you just picked it up. If you guys complain about poachers, then do it by the law. If you dont care that kids and others shoot them with high powers from the roads, then go ahead and pick them up... I guess for me, I will gladly call a DNR out to investigate... I have been involved with finding a pretty large deer, and the DNR came out with a metal detector, scanned over the deer, found nothing, and issued a salvage tag. He said if he would have had a hit with the detector, he would have checked to see what type of object it was (broadhead, bullet, slug) If it was right after shotgun, he said if it was a slug, he would assume lost deer and issued a tag, a broadhead also lost deer, but a high power bullet obviously poached. Now we had a bunch of kids running around with .22 caliber guns killing lots of deer, so anything to help with the case, I was more than willing to help out. I guess, if I am going to sit here and complain about a poacher, I am going to do it the right way... but thats my 2 cents...

Top Bottom