Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dead Buck

ajadams

PMA Member
Today I was out working on one of my food plots and found a dead buck. I have been in that area a few times this year and never noticed it. I went to lift the head and saw the one side of the rack was laying underneath it. So with a little effort I was able to take off the other side. I have never been able to remove antlers this way so I am guessing he died fairly recent. Has anyone else ever tried this and succeeded?

i wish that would happen to me when i find one dead
grin.gif

Shredder... how would that make a neat european skull mount... are u talkin about just the skull or antlers with it.. becuz he took both of them off.. i guess when i think of a european skull mount.. i think of it as a buck skull with antlers? maybe thats just me!

Not sure what Shredder meant but it would be a discussion piece with a euro'd skull and the horns hanging from it by a strip of aged leather. I've never seen it done but would give it a try as you don't really have anything to lose. I suppose some of you shed guys find both sheds and anticipate the skull coming later with a new set - right? In a way it would be a testimony to this particular animal's life and death.

[ QUOTE ]
Shredder... how would that make a neat european skull mount... are u talkin about just the skull or antlers with it.. becuz he took both of them off.. i guess when i think of a european skull mount.. i think of it as a buck skull with antlers? maybe thats just me!

[/ QUOTE ]

He's talking about boiling the skull down and having the antlers seperate from it. The typical euro mount does have them attached. It'd make a neat conversation piece to have the skull to match your horns.

Someone on here has a picture of exactly what Shredder is referring too, but I think one antler is attached to the skull and one isn't.

By saving the skull..... It's also interesting to hold other sets of sheds up to the bare skull to get a real sense of how they might have set upon the deers head. I do this often with a skull I saved. I found it very educational too.

Woody

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's talking about boiling the skull down and having the antlers seperate from it. The typical euro mount does have them attached. It'd make a neat conversation piece to have the skull to match your horns.

Someone on here has a picture of exactly what Shredder is referring too, but I think one antler is attached to the skull and one isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this idea!!

I popped this one off last year...looked forever for the other side with no luck. I jumped him in the middle of February and found him three weeks later dead.
confused.gif
1009Picture_048-med.jpg

That's a nice one THINKIN RUT! It's kinda weird how it goes down into the skull.

Top Bottom