Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deadly Duo

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Ladies and gentman. Some of you know me and some of you are getting to know me a little better. What you will come to learn is that everything I do has a "special" spin on things and no matter how well things are going, I WILL mess something up!

So the friday morning forecast was looking bleak, so I called home to let me very dissappointed little brother know that we would not be going to the blind in the morning because the weather was so miserable! Of course there were tears shed, because after all he had been looking forward to this day since a year ago. He started to ask me if we could go on friday morning sometime last fall. So I made the compromise that I would pull him out of school early and take him south of council bluffs to hunt. Which we had to go there anyhow for a fiftieth wedding anniversary. So one oclock rolls around and I duck out of a class early and pick noah up for the trip!

On the way down there we ran into a few birds and noah was absolutely ecstatic, so we drove straight to the timber. As soon as we got the blind set up, the snow and sleet started. What a disaster, we could hardly hold the blind down and just for a kick in the face, when we got back to the truck there was a tom roosted within 50 yards.

The next morning we got in late because noah was sure his alarm was on.. haha. Alarms are evil. So we get set up and I am starting to feel good about it because we have a tom fired up and 2 hens worked our setup. Than Noah started to get cold and the ground was White and I said FORGET THIS. The birds were in a big group in the back of the farm, so we got in the truck and drove back to see them. They all busted out into different directions and it ended up being for the best.

We than had to rush home and go to the 50th wedding anniversary. We partied like it was 1958 and had a gay old time. Actually, it was pretty fun listening to a lot of old stories and it was a good time, but after 4 hours I had had enough, I bailed.

I snuck out the back and noone even noticed, I turn my phone off so noone could find me and went and parked on a big hill, binocs in hand. I proceeded to tuck in two lone toms, and I was pumped to say the least! I gave them a little kiss on the snood and told them to sleep tight. In the morning would bring Big Pimpin and Virginia Slim to play (my decoys).

So me and Noah woke up early and headed to the timber. Just so you have an idea of noah. Picture me in an 8 year old body. We stumbled and tumbled our way over terraces and into the bottom of a rather large bean field.

Noah laid on the ground as I sat and patiently waited for the toms to sound off. The first group of toms to gobble were about 200 yards away and I began to worry. I thought maybe they were bumped in the night. But as daylight grew near my two toms woke up and let out a single gobble. They only gobbled about 3 times on the roost. While the other group gobbled untill they fell out of the tree.

I gave some very romantic yelps, that seemed to tickle there fancy and waited for fly down. When I figured it was about time, I was cutting like crazy and beat the side of my leg like the wings of the sexiest hen you could imagine! I then shut up for five minutes. The five minutes seemed like an eternity for noah, he begged me to call. I said knowingly, "Give it time boy, Give it time."

I than let out a very excited series of yelps that was greeted by double gobbles no more than 100 yards from us. I told Noah to grab the gun and to get ready! They are coming. I let out some more seductive clucks and purrs. Than the two toms came out into the field, I grabbed the tripod and put the camera on them, as they proceeded to strut and run the 100 yards to Big Pimpin. But when I hit the record button, it actually turned the camera off......... Special.

As I thought I was getting Spectacular footage noah was trying to get a clear shot at the bird! He was behind Big Pimpin, Literally sticking his face through the real tail fan, it was so cool. Eventually he worked around the deeks and Noah let her eat. HE FLATBACKED that tom at ten yards!! I did get some celebration on film after wards and it was a really fun hunt!! He was so pumped it, it was awesome!!

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0932.jpg

The second year in a row this turd put holes in my decoy.
DSCN0927-1.jpg

NIck!!!!
where you been????

hahaha

Great story, Great bird
Congrats to you both!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NIck!!!!
where you been????

hahaha
! </div></div>

Doin work. You should have seen the birds this morning!

Top Bottom