Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decisions

kwright

kwright
Hey guys, I know Iowans don't rifle hunt, but I thought there might be some here that would appreciate this.

I recently entered a contest sponsored by Blaser and wound up winning a new rifle and a trip to Germany to tour the Blaser/Mauser/Sauer factories. I'm beyond excited!

Here's a link to the article I wrote:
http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/issue/2015-1/article/winner-blaser-contest

And here's my question for the board:
Which caliber should I choose? I was told I can pick anything from a .222 Remington to a .375 H&H Mag. What do you think?

Congrats! Blasers look like awesome rifles! What do you hope to do with the rifle? I've got plenty of centerfires from 222 Rem up but above all, I love my 300 Win Mags!!! Notice the plural, only plural caliber I own. From deer size up, that's my #1 choice.

375 H&H then sell that expensive gun! You won't even want to take it out it's a work of art! Turn around and get a nice Rem. 700 and use the rest how you want!

Blaser is a dream gun I'd like to have. For caliber, I'd suggest .308 or 7mm mag. Lots of different bullet weights to choose from for those calibers. Congrats on your win!!

Congrats on the gun, but I will be the first to say, good write! I don't think anything in the world could have beat that.. However, I think if I were you I would pick a gun that you can hold onto, and that you can hand down to your son just as you stated in your article, because you have a son. Keep the legacy going, and how cool of a story behind the gun itself in the future. Just what I would do, because I enjoy the legacy.

Getting the most expensive and selling it is an option, but one I wouldn't take personally! Just my $.02

Congrats on the gun, but I will be the first to say, good write! I don't think anything in the world could have beat that.. However, I think if I were you I would pick a gun that you can hold onto, and that you can hand down to your son just as you stated in your article, because you have a son. Keep the legacy going, and how cool of a story behind the gun itself in the future. Just what I would do, because I enjoy the legacy.

Getting the most expensive and selling it is an option, but one I wouldn't take personally! Just my $.02

That's what I would do. Keep the gun, its something not very many people will ever own.

Congrats on the gun, but I will be the first to say, good write! I don't think anything in the world could have beat that.. However, I think if I were you I would pick a gun that you can hold onto, and that you can hand down to your son just as you stated in your article, because you have a son. Keep the legacy going, and how cool of a story behind the gun itself in the future. Just what I would do, because I enjoy the legacy. Getting the most expensive and selling it is an option, but one I wouldn't take personally! Just my $.02

Nailed it in my opinion, everyone's situation is different but I would make it an heirloom if he deserves it when the time is right. Well done!

That's what I would do. Keep the gun, its something not very many people will ever own.

Nailed it in my opinion, everyone's situation is different but I would make it an heirloom if he deserves it when the time is right. Well done!

These guys all nailed it. I wish I could afford a Blaser! If they offer it in 6.5 Creedmore, I'd take a closer, hard look at that. If not, I'd be looking at either the 300WM like HorseDoctor says, or the 300WSM. Great all around cartridges. You save some overall weight with the WSM, but its hard to beat a 300 WM.

I am going to revise my earlier statement. I jumped the gun (no pun intended) a bit and replied with the obvious answer.....for me. I like nice things, don't get me wrong, but I am also very practical and like to use the stuff I have. A gun of that value is not something I would actually use. I would be way to scared of damaging it in one way or another. So, for me, having a gun like that in the house would strictly be to admire, but again, that's not the kind of guy I am. My route would be to get the most expensive one possible, sell it, maybe buy something more practical for my use and have a bunch of cash left over for whatever else....maybe an elk hunt or something. Everybody's situation and desires are different and I failed to even consider that. So assuming you will be keeping the gun, I would suggest a caliber that is more practical than the .375 h&h. I would suggest a 7mm mag. or a 300 win mag. Congrats again and fantastic write up! I wish I could right like that.

I really appreciate all the feedback, especially the comments about passing this gun down to my son some day. That seems like the perfect ending to this story.

I'm still wrestling with choosing a caliber. Anyone here have any experience with the 9.3x62? It sounds like a classic European cartridge, and I thought it might be an appropriate choice for a rifle with German roots.

Top Bottom