Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy placement

J

jason

How do you guys place your decoys? I usually put my jake decoy closer than the hen, because I heard the tom will go for the jake first? I usually use two decoys at a time. Have any of you guys tried the breeding pair?

I've heard that you should also place the jake facing were the gobbler is coming from, because they will go face to face with the jake first. I agree with placing it a little closer too, it should get you a little closer shot at the gobbler. When I have time I use two hens and a jake, I guess is just feel that the more realistic the setup looks the better my chances are. I have never used a breeding pair, but would also like to know how they work.

[This message has been edited by micah3553 (edited 02-25-2002).]

I don't know if it's just the day or what but sometimes the typical "clumped" decoy positioning doesn't always work. I've noticed that when birds are feeding along they seem to be in a staggerd off set line. I'll set my decoys up like that with the middle 2 within 3 yards of my blind and the other 2 15 yards off. Then I'll put my jake decoy (if I use him) 15 yards straight away from me as if he was just appearing on the scene. It's worked well on hens and getting some gobbs within gun range but 30 yards is out of my confident bow range...for now. =)

Here's a new angle...

More and more I think the best place to put your decoys in in the back of your truck!! I still use mine once in awhile (especially the jake), but it seems like to me it's easier to get that tom to go looking for a hen if he can't see her or any other turkey. More than once I've seen a tom's life spared because he hung up once he caught sight of the decoy.

NWBuck

I agree with you NWBuck, seems gobbs are getting smart/wary to decoys anymore. Depending on my mood I may only use 1 decoy or none or all 5. =) Decoys are good somedays and good for nothing the next, either way they always excite the tree rats in the area. Also seems that the plain old yelp puts a gobb on edge, I've resorted to more purring and clucking than anything lately. Of course they always seem to come in when you're sitting there day dreaming and not calling anyway.

It all depends on the set up, I suppose, but if you're worried about a bird hanging up once he catches sight of the decoys, you could try puting them where a gobbler wouldn't see them until he is in range.

I would also have to agree with NWBuck. More than once I have had them hang up on me once they spot the decoy, unless there is another tom coming to the decoy as well. Then it is a mad race to see who get the shaft first! I will not use them in the woods at all. I just asume let them come find me. I have on occation used them in field set ups if I know well in advance where the bird is coming from. Even then though I will place the decoy 30 yards behind me away from where I believe the tom will come from. That way if he hangs up out from the decoy 50-60 yards he is still in range to get shafted.

...my 2 cents...I use decoys during the early season or when I am set up in the "open"...those areas where tom expects and knows he should be able to see the hen that is making noise...later in the season I usually put them away for the year...my suggestions to anyone using decoys...for hen decoys: make use of at least one feeder...it makes the decoys look more relaxed...(what does a nervous hen do before giving the alarm putt?...she stands as tall as she can and looks around - similar to most decoys)...for jake decoys: cut off the beard (if you can)...turkeys respond to color...it is the color of the decoys head, not the beard, that sets off the tom...(my evidence - beared hens get bred and jakes with no-beard visible still get chased)...last year my beardless jake got waylaid by three long beards!...

Top Bottom