Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy Placement

wernerjd

Over the years I have read lots of articles about decoys and decoy placement. So my question is I have a breeding hen, upright hen, and a jake but want to know the best placement for bow hunting? Do place the breeding hen 90 degrees to my location for best shot placement and the jake right behind facing me? What do I do with my upright. I have read so many setups just wanted your opinion. Thanks for any help.

I place mine quartering tward the blind not strait twards it. I don't put much thought into the upright. I just place her out in range. Never had a tom come to a hen with the jake out yet. Other hens do so if there is a bearded hen around I want a shot to the upright hen.

Mobil Cooter using IW

Last edited:
I was thinking about this last night while I was looking at some old videos. Every tom came up to the DSD from the side/behind and stood looking over it. Most of those were facing the blind. I a going to start putting my DSD jake facing away from the blind. Right or wrong, I'm hoping this will turn the tom's back to me for a shot. I will test it out this weekend.

I guess when I'm running a jake decoy I don't give it much thought, but if I'm running a strutter decoy them I have him facing the blind. The strutter or jake is always the furthest decoy away from me, usually at 8-10 yards. I then have a breeder and feeder hen just a few steps away from my blind to serve as more of a distraction for my movement when I'm drawing my bow. Works pretty good.

Most people say to face jake / strutter towards blind. I used to agree but not anymore. Every bird that comes to my dsd jake comes from behind or the side and can still easily see movement if not careful. Most birds jump right on top on my jake and stand there and it seems easier for them to see in blind. I think facing jake quartering away or straight away will be ticket.

I happen to have 2 Feather Flex decoys I have been using for 20+yrs. The hen decoy has been attacked by a coyote and looks like its been ripped by every multi floral rose in the country. My Jake decoy looks mean enough to scrap with any full grown tom around. I place mine 12 to 15 yds from the blind. I always keep them at 90 degrees to the front window. I always face the hen to the jake about 5 ft. apart. Dynamite setup in my case. Took my 9 yr. old son last Saturday and he shot his bird by 6:20 a.m. Setup worked again.

zvholk said:
has anybody ever try a strutter and a jake together, and if so how did it work for you?

Yes. Worked great always come to the jake first. Think they see the strutter then come to run the jake off.

-}}}---------->

Top Bottom