Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoys in Fall

kbgibby

Threebeards
Thought we needed some action on this forum so here's a question for you.
How many of you guys plan to use decoys this fall? I'll usually take a hen along just for the heck of it but a buddy and I've been considering setting up a whole flock (six-eight) and calling a bunch ... lots of purring and scratching in the leaves ... just for the heck of it. Have any of you done this?

Threebeards
grin.gif

I tried that last fall. Busted up a flock, then set out 5 decoys and started calling them back in with kee-kees and lost yelps. 2 hours later and not a sign of any birds. Finally lost patience and hiked over the hill to the next patch of timber, thinking if I get into another flock I'm not going to bust them, I'll just sit down and start calling. Not five minutes later I had another flock in front of me. Dropped down behind the nearest tree - a three inch sapling. A few yelps and they came in like they were on a string. Filled my tag and walked home. That was mid morning, but if I was setting up under a roosted flock at dawn I'd put out a ton of decoys for sure.

Between my buddy and I, we counted up and have nine decoys so we're going to set 'em all out and see what happens. Plan to have boxes, diaphragms, and slates going so we sound like a flock. May even try to set up a video camera to catch it on tape.

Good luck to you guys too!

Threebeards

I never use decoys in the fall as hen's are fair game and even tho nobody has permission to hunt the land I'm on would hate to have some moron come walking up on me w/ a shotgun and blast my flock
wstupid.gif
... much less me... just food for thought

Top Bottom