Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoys?

Jethro

Are you guys having better luck with or without decoys this time of year? I've talked to several who say to not use them because there educated now and it could spook them. A guy told me to use a jake decoy with no hen also. I don't know, just curious what you guys think. Thanks.

I have found you either need to throw the kitchen sink at them or none at all. Usually this time of year I agree the three to four decoy set-up gets stale. I usually use none or 9 to 11!

Over all I think that decoys are becoming less effective every year...
evil.gif

I mix it up. My buddy and I both scored over decoys last week. Mine was a traditional jake hen set-up and his was a three-hen, two jake (one in breeding position). We were also aggressive in our calling. I tend to error on the side of putting out decoys just because it takes some attention away from you. If they don't see a bird, I think they tend to focus more on where the call is coming from and bust you easier.

Threebeards

Thanks guys for your input. The reason i asked is because last weekend i had a gobbler coming in hard. He reached the top of the ridge were i was set-up at gobbling the whole way. He stood there gobbling looking for me. Eventually he strutted into the opening about 50 yards out. He stopped spotted the decoy and i mean like a lighting bolt he was gone. Thats why i'm asking because i feel that if that decoy would not have been there he would have strutted in that opening eventually giving me a shot.

Jethro, I've had that happen to be before many times, I've also had real good luck with the decoys. I got my bird just over a week ago but, two toms came right in, past my hen and spurred and stomped on my jake decoy. But I've had them bolt just like you did. I think you just got to adjust. If you hunt that same bird again maybe you want 1 hen or nothing at all.

It depends on the bird(s) I typically use only one hen and one jake. And this time of the year I have had good luck pulling toms in from great distances with the decoys. Then I have had others stroll on by. Their mood at the moment makes all the difference in your hunt.
shocked.gif

yea we had the jake decoy lookin at the blind and the hen decoy facing away sideways from the blind and i got my first bird within 10 yards of the decoys last sat. it was my first bird ever and it was a 24 pound 11 inch beard tom! with a 50 yard shot!
sniper.gif

I've had mixed results. Usually use one or two hens and one jake because with a bow that is all I want to carry.

Sometimes they work great. A number of years ago I had a gobbler come in and circle the decoy at full strut for several minutes. The decoy was 7 yards in front of me! Then another gobbler came in and they started fighting. This was when I was carrying a gun. I'd have loved to trade that gun for a video camera! I kept looking at the spurs when they flew up to spur eachother trying to figure out which bird was bigger. Finally one gave up and ran off, so I shot the winner.

Sometimes turkey seem spooked by them. This year I had two decoys out and the hens kept walking by while the gobbler spent most of the time on a nearby ridge top. The hens were very leary of the decoys. They passed by several times but always kept a close eye on the decoys. After about two hours the gobbler finally came by and I was able to arrow him at 8 yards. That time I think I'd have been better off without the decoys.

The final answer, I think it depends. I don't think I'd usually mess with decoys gun hunting unless it was a field edge where I felt the bird probably wouldn't come in without one. Also, I usually don't set one up with a bow unless it is fairly open.

Old Buck

Well here is my opinion. I think that decoys work when you are hunting where there isn't much pressure. If your hunting somewhere that sees a lot of pressure don't take them. Most of the time I carry two decoys. A hen and a jake. I take two because I have the Carry-Lite decoys which are rather bulky. I think that the jake is almost a must. I've only had positive results with the jake decoy. Hope this helps.
smirk.gif

Top Bottom