Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer cam advice

wibohnt

Finally broke down and bought a nontypical deercam. I set it up on a trail this past weekend, just wondering what type of advice anyone may have as far as camera height, which delays to use or any other helpful hints. Thanks.

Well I like to keep mine around 2.5 feet off the ground. That seems to work best for me. You have to take into account the terrain, like in a ditch, open field or a nice level piece of ground. Above four feet you won't get any pics. Below two you will get a lot of raccons, squirrles, and just like that. I use a five second delay between my pics.

I just do a walk by test stooped over to deer height. But I am holdin off till it cools off a bit and let em grow a rack. I vary the delay based on where its at if its over a waterhole I go 1 minute if its on a trail I go 3 seconds.

Wibohnt,
How you set your interval all depends on where you put your camera. Feed areas, deer may congregate and you will take 2-4 + photos of the same deer with it set on 2 minutes. If your on a trail, the 2 minute would work fine.
I put mine out on some corn in the winter and it shot 24 photos in less than a day as I had it on the 2 minute interval. It took photos of the same deer just sitting and eating all day.
Buy lots of film and and experiment. The deer Cam is a nice camera.

I am interested in buying one, but am worried the flash will spook bucks away from the area at night...anyone have any experience with this?

I,ve always read that they won't spook deer. I guess they don't associate it with humans and I had one rep for one of the camera companies tell me that their belief was that deer think it is lightning, so they don't spook. I guess a person would have to be their to see how they react or get 2-3 pictures of the same deer after the camera flashed to prove to yourself that it didn't spook. By the way, pfiddler, I was through your area on the 4th of July--the same awesome country that I remember from when I used to turkey hunt and shed hunt down there. I hope you're growing and saving a few monster bucks for me until I can get back there again! I always had trouble finding a hotel in that area. Are there any nearby now??

There are some motels like Super 8 and Days Inn in Missouri Valley, which would be your best bet for lodging if you were to hunt the Loess Hills. Did you draw a zone 3 tag?

Pfiddler,
I bought a camera last year. I caught 3 p @ y on film. I got two of them several times, day and night, never spooked them. The other one, happened to be the largest, I got only once at night. So the question is, was he just passing thru or did I spook him. Im thinking he was just an extremely secretive big buck. I got several photos of does and bucks the same night milling around, so I doubt it spooks them.

Top Bottom