Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Cam

Greendeem

I'm thinking about buying a deer cam for scouting. For those who have them or have researched them, what types do you reccomend?

I'm not happy with my camtrakker, so I wouldn't recommend it. It seems to eat batteries way too much, among other annoying problems. It really ticks you off after you have the camera sitting there for a week thinking its taking photos and there's none taken when you show up. I'd try one of the less expensive cameras. If you decide on a camtrakker, I'd sell you mine for half what I paid for it last year.

I would recommend a homebrewed camera. I have my fourth role of film in the lab getting developed. Every role so far has provided great results. I am considering selling the camera I bought to upgrade to a home brewed digital. Look at the picture my son posted. There is a link to his web page just a little further down the forum. If would be interested I would sell this camera for a little less than I just paid for it. Also, I will not sell it until the digit homebrew is ready for me. This is almost as fun as hunting. You really get excited to see what's on your pictures. E-mail me for more info or I can put you in touch with the guy that built mine. [email protected]

AS A SPORTING GOODS SALESMAN, I SEE AND ALWAYS KNOW IT ALL....... NOT........., BUT IN FOUR YEARS OF USING CAMERAS, I STILL BELIEVE THE TRAIL TIME PHOTO HUNTER IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE CONSUMER.... YES, HOME BREW CAMERAS ARE GREAT, MORE AFFORDABLE, AND FOR SOME MORE REWARDING TO CREATE....KUDOS TO THOSE WHO CAN BUILD,HONESTLY....HOWEVER, I AM ON THE ROAD ABOUT 60-70- HOURS A WEEK. THE TIME IT WOULD TAKE ME TO BUILD A CAMERA IS BETTER SPENT EARNIG A COMMISSION CHECK . SPEND THE MONEY ON A TTPH3500 AND DO YOURSELF A FAVOR..

I HAVE USED OR AM CURRENTLY USING 5 CAMERAS AND WILL BE PICKING UP TWO MORE NEXT FRIDAY. I HAVE USED HIGHLAND PHOTO SCOUT, CAMTRACKER, GAVE VU AND TRAIL TIMER PH3500..... CAMTRACKER IS GREAT BUT 430 DOLLARS VS. 239 DOLLARS ILL STICK TO WHAT I HAVE. FOR PHOTO QUALITY REFER BACK TO BIG BUCK PROBLEM FROM MY LAST FALLS POST OR MAYBEE ILL JUST SEND IN SOME OF THIS YEARS HOGS..... M350 OUT

I'm always in favor of a homebrew. If you want to purchase a store bought one be carefull, the cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason. Usually the case is weak or it leaks. The camera has a weak flash. Also some have all the electronics exposed, thats a real easy way to short the cam out and ruin it.

we had great luck the last two years with the non-typical deer cam. probably developed about 25 rolls of film or more from four cameras without any major hitches. customer service was good too when we had questions. battery life was decent and setup really is very simple.

I have a camtrakker that I like and have used for 4+ years. However, this summer several friends have built home made one using plans from jessies hunting page. We built three of them each of the last two weekend for my self and other friends. Got an assembly line going with one person working on the case and others doing the wiring. Will post picture when I get home tonight.

Haven't gotten a roll of film out of mine yet but others have gotten some good photos. All for about $90 to $100. Going to try and make a digital one next.

Pat

proto_type.jpg

directions.jpg

the_plan.jpg

above trail cameras built with plans from Jesse's Hunting Page

M350, what can you tell me about the Highlander Photo Scout? I bought one from Cabelas and have set the thing out twice. The first time I had 11 pictures and the second time I had 7 pictures. I was totally pumped and rushed the film to a one hour photo only to have the people tell me that none of the pictures came out. For anyone that has gone through this you can relate to how amazingly disappointed I was. So I covered the eye with a piece of cardboard like they tell you to try in the trouble shooting paper, there were no false flashes. I need to call their help line but just wondered if you ever had this happen to you and if you have what in the world did you do to correct it??? Would appreciate any input you or anyone else might provide.

Good luck in the upcoming season.

T.D.

TO THE HUNTING COUPLE
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, YOU KNOW ABOUT THE FALSE FLASHES AND THE CAMERA ONLY TAKING MINIMAL PHOTOS. A FRIEND OF MINE RUNS CAMERAS WITH ME--HE OWN 2 AND THEY ARE BOTH ACTING THE SAME WAY AS YOURS,,, PUT AS NICELY AS I CAN---THEY STINK----ONE HAS BEEN SET ON A MAJOR TRAIL GOING TO WATER FOR TWO WEEKS WITH ONLY 7 EXPOSURES. MY OPINION FIND THE RECIEPT AND RETURN THE PILE OF CIRCUTRY TO WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME M350 OUT.

M350, thanks for the reply. I am going to have to take it back and try something else. It really pisses me off, I have spent a lot of time messing around with it. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again!!!!!

Tim

Vman, I have a couple questions for you about assembling a homebrew camera, and I lost your email address awhile back. Would you please email me at [email protected] and I will let you know what I need. Thanks !

As a follow-up to my previous post here are two pics off the first roll from one of the cameras we built. I put the camera on a fence post along the edge of a corn field the deer like to hang out in during the late summer.

Enjoy,

Patrick

first_day_02.jpg

first_night_02.jpg

All,

Pretty interesting stuff! I've never owned a "deer cam", I can see how they could help with your scouting.

Pat,

Thanks for the input! Jesse has a great site with lots of helpful stuff. It sounds like the IBA Fall event was a good one, keep up the good work.

TLH

081602C.jpg

Photo by TLH, 08/16/02

These game cams are allmost as fun as hunting! Just got the first roll done today. I couldn't wait for all 24 pics so I took it in at 17. I'm using a homebrew by Vman. Works great! I got some really great pics. I don't have the monsters you have in Iowa but they are good for this area. Heading out tomorrow a.m. to hang it in a different location.
grin.gif
cam%20buck%201.JPG

I'll put a vote in for Camtrakker...had mine about a year and half with no problems. Taken some pics of some dandy bucks. In colder weather battery life does seem to be a little short, but overall, I couldn't be happier with the picture quality.

TD, wish you would have gone with a Camtrakker
wink.gif

TB

Shovelbuck,
Great pic. Keep'em comming. Don't feel bad about developing early. My first roll had 8 on it LOL. Looks like you got a great spot.
Vman

thehuntingcouple,

There are a few reasons why you may have gotten so few pics and pics of nothing.

All game cameras work off IR (heat) and motion. If you have your cam pointed at say a cedar and the sun warms the limbs up and the wind blows the limbs around you're going to get pics of the cedar.

To check your cam try putting it in a shaded area where no sun will hit it or any trees in front of it. Shady creeks work good.

Another problem ALL game cameras have is when the temps get into the 90s in the summer the IR sensors have trouble distinguishing animals. The sensors work off a difference of temperature. A warm blooded animal has a big temp difference when it's 60 degrees compared to the surrounding air temp. Take that same animal and walk him by the sensor when it's 95 degrees and the sensor doesn't see the animal.

M350, I don't know how you can call a unit a pile of junk by a short post by someone without any troubleshooting info. I've gotten emails from Trail Timer Photo Hunter owners and they all say what a mess they have after it rains since the unit is not waterproof. Having only a date or time stamp and not both is another major drawback. Most people like to know when the animal was in the pic and not guess. Having to pull the camera out of the housing to see how many pics are taken is another pain.

Here is a link to some of the comments by the owners.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cams.html#photohunter

The Moultrie Game Cam II is also not sealed and the emails are pouring in about the ants and water in that cam also.

Thanks for all of the feedback on my camera. I would like to say that there was something wrong with the camera but that would be a lie. It turns out that the problem I was having was operator related. The film was not getting loaded correctly and therefore the camera was taking the picture correctly but there wasn't any film....yes pretty stupid!!!! I put it back out 2 days ago and went to check it this morning. I had 3 pictures on it and I am happy to report all the pictures came out, and I was very impressed with the quality of the pictures. I have relocated the camera to an old hot spot of Twobeards.

Twobeards I tried calling you from your hotspot but you were not around. You would not believe how much all of the small trees in front of your old stand have grown. It doesn't even look like the same spot, I cannot wait to hunt it this year. Give me a ring when you would like to shoot.

Once again thanks to everyone who replied, and good luck to everyone in the upcoming season.

T.D.

I think we've built 14 or 15 trail cameras in the last two months. I'm ready to retire for the year and start hunting. I had to build just one more. This time I built one with a digital camera. Figured I'll save in the long run not having to pay for film and processing.

While not big bucks these are a couple pictures I got this weekend from the first test of my digital trail camera. I set the camera along a trail leading to an apple tree. I'll have to set it a little higher on the tree trunk next time.

Slew_1_2002_a.jpg

Slew_2_2002_a.jpg

Top Bottom