Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Cart

Benny

I have been thinking about getting a deer cart because I aint 20 anymore and its getting tougher to get those old bruisers out of the woods. What are people's thoughts on the products out on the market??? I usually do one trip out West in cactus's and sage brush type stuff so the tires would be to be pretty tough but I also would prefer something that is space friendly.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

I wouldn't go cheap. I believe I have the gorrilla one, and it doesn't work that well. It is too top heavy. You want one that is fairly wide and low center of balance. All the wheels I have ever seen on them is solid rubber so you won't puncture them. Some have two sets of wheels attached to each side, I think that would help alot when going on side hills. One thing is for sure though, even a crappy deer cart is a heck of alot better than no deer cart
blush.gif
grin.gif

For the last 3 years I haven't drug a deer out of the woods even though I have shot 15. This method is great for the liberal doe tag states. When I shoot a deer, I go back to my truck, leave my bow behind, and grab a backpack with a hoist, gambrel, rope, rubber gloves, and a trash bag. Where the deer lies I gut it, tie the hoist to a nearby tree with the rope, lift it, skin it, and bone it, put the meat in a trash bag, and place it in my backpack. I can skin and boneout a deer in 20-30 minutes. I am not dragging out the useless weight of bones and hide; unless it is a nice buck of course. I have no deer carcass to get rid of and I'm not skinning out some week old, cold or frozen deer like 90% of the guys around here do. This does not affect deer in the woods and I have seen deer walk right beside a fresh carcass. Basically the same thing that elk hunters have been doing for years.
EDIT: Of course this will not work in states that require deer to be taken to a checkin station. Here in IA they just enacted a law that we have to check a deer in by phone or computer before it can be processed for consumption. No big deal; check it in by either method and than skin it and bone it where it died. Dragging deer out of the woods is too much work for me; I have grown smarter in my 40's.

Really?? Seems like more of a pain to drag that stuff out there. It sounds like you are efficient at it. Hell it takes me 20 minutes to put the gloves on. I enjoy the processing, it's a good way to bs with the fellas.

agree with ya right there rudd. nothin like butcherin n drinkin a few cold ones.

Nothing to drag out there. My little hoist fits in my back pack easy and this all sits in my truck in my pack ready to go. Probably only weighs 3-4#'s and that is including the back pack.
What I am getting at is why drag a hide, hooves, bones, and a head out of the woods up and down ravines and sweat your arse off just to have to load all of this back into your truck to take back to the woods?

I bought one at Cabelas years ago it's like a hundred dollars , best hundy i ever spent! It's called the magnum game carrier and its still $99.99

I got that same carrier for Christmas last year. It folds up to a respectable size, and seems pretty sturdy. I'll probably use it in the late ML season. So far, I've been able to drive up pretty close.

[ QUOTE ]
why drag a hide, hooves, bones, and a head out of the woods up and down ravines and sweat your arse off just to have to load all of this back into your truck to take back to the woods?

[/ QUOTE ]

So your buddies have an excuse to come over and hang around your garage sippin cold ones??
grin.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

'Course I can drive to most of my deer so I can see your point in some situations.

[ QUOTE ]
go with a sled. Ask DBLTree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what we have used for years ondry ground, works great...slides up over logs etc,

Load it in the truck and the blood stays in the sled
waytogo.gif

Shappell Jet Sled

Sledding.jpg

Dragging.jpg

Slide.jpg

Looks like that mountain lion just was about to pounce in that one picture! Close call DBLTree!

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like that mountain lion just was about to pounce in that one picture! Close call DBLTree!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey that right there is a "furrley dangerous" animal...people have been nearly "licked" to death with just one lil ole pat on the head
grin.gif

I'm just trying to figure out how to turn him into a sled dog
jester.gif

I have the Cabelas Super Mag and its awesome. Have hauled deer out by myself with no problems. You can go over small trees, up and down hills and it works great for hauling ladder stands out to the woods.

What ever cart you buy make sure you get one where the wheels are outside the frame. This allows the weight to sit in between the wheels and it wont tip over. Theres carts out there where the wheels sit directly under the cart and they are tall and tip over every time you move them.

Well, I just got a chance to use mine on Saturday. After shooting my buck, I didn't want to drive across a mucky bean field, so I used the Cabela's cart for the first time. Worked slick - didn't need to strap the deer on since it was mostly level ground. I have the one that breaks down for travel. Love it !

Top Bottom