Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

deer decoys

G

i've been thinking about trying a deer decoy but i am not sure which one to get . is there one that is better than the others ? please let give me your imput thanks

for sure a carry-lite the best they make right their

I've had my Carry-Lite for several seasons. I've used it very little because it's such a pain in the butt to carry. I bought a big duck decoy bag w/backstraps and hope it's a little easier to get to my stand sites.

When using your decoy, make sure to use it in a fairly open area. A buck should be able to see it 100 yds away. I learned the hard way using mine in the timber. Had several bucks walk within a few yards of the decoy before they saw it...talk about spooking! Luckily, none were shooters.

TB

I have an Alert Doe that I put the antlers on. I would rather have the feeding doe type. The alert one scares other deer, they sit and look at what the decoy is looking at and get spooked when they don't see anything.

I just read a great article and founds these tips to be accurate.

place the decoy upwind of you, if you use antlers on it place the decoy so it faces you, if no antlers are used place decoy butt towards you. Buck will walk up to butt of doe to sniff, but will approach face of another buck. Also bucks will go down wind of decoy to approach it, if you're downwind and don't stink he'll come by you.

Hang a white kleenex on the tail to simulate movement as the wind blows.

If you use the antlers, it better smell like a buck, use some tarsal gland scent. The gel works good.

I use mine about 2 days a year, because it is a pain in the ass to carry it. Ackward and noisy.

I used the feeding doe decoy and hated it!I had deer get spooked by it not moving.They would stomp their paws at it and then spook.I carry enough junk into the woods without carrying this feeding doe along.I would rather hunt without this decoy!At least the deer would come right in,instead of getting spooked!

Overall, decoys have their place and time. When placed in open areas, the response can be rewarding. I mainly place stands in the timber and like others have mentioned, deer (especially does) usually get nervous and sometimes BLOW the whistle.

Instead of a kleenex for a tail, you can attach a real deer tail to the decoy. Also, the guys in Primetime 6 sprayed their buck decoy with doe in heat, rather than buck tarsal. seemed to work for them. My little experience with this technique tells me this is for the rut.

Top Bottom