Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer decoys

G

What brand of decoys do you guys prefer, if you use them, and how much success have you had with them. Do you use them as bucks or does?

i dont know what brand my cousins is but this past season they got on video of a 150in. buck just nail the decoy it ran off so they went out and set it back up and ten minutes later it came back and they got the shot on video. it is in the photo gallery under his name is Wayne Wincell

Flambeau Carry Lite - what can I say, sometimes it works like you have them on a string and realiing them right in and other times (due to set up) it is pure agonizing. BUT IT IS WORTH IT!

I have a Flambeau Redi-Doe and I have had a lot of great experiences with it. My son shot a buck while it was actually touching his nose on the decoy's nose. Problem is the paint is flaking off real bad and I can't get them to do anything about it. Guess I'll have to repaint it myself.

Have you guys ever tried using your 3D target for this? I was thinking of doing that next year but couldn't decide if it would hold my scent from practicing or not. I know it would look a little torn up from shooting at it but that would just add to the 3D effect, right? Plus I'd save a couple hundred $$ if I could use it.

I used a 3-D target for one season and quickly bought a carry lite decoy. The 3-D was a pain to carry in and out and set up. I'd buy the decoy and leave the target at home. I saw the video of the Winchell buck. If you see that video you'll buy the decoy, it is awesome.

I also use the Carry-Lite, I don't like the posture of the flambeau--just a personal preference.

I won't bring my decoy out until the last weekend in October. I'm afraid that the deer will figure out that something's bogus if I use it too much. During the rut it can be very deadly when used with a grunt call.

Curious what you don't like about the posture of the Redi-doe Nate. It's supposed to be in a breeding posture and it seems pretty realistic to me.

Several years back I had a doe decoy cost me a beautiful buck! The buck was heading right to a funnel I was sitting in and when he saw the decoy he absolutely froze. After staring the decoy down for a couple of minutes he spooked back into the timber. It was as though he thought "that damn thing should have moved by now!". Anyway, I'm sure they work at certain times, but that experience has me hesitant to use decoys until some sort of motion is legal. This happened in early November and the wind, etc. was perfect. Anyone else had similar experiences, or was it just me ??

NWBuck

Have you guys used the montana decoys and if so have you noticed much difference in the inneraction with live deer?

I have had good luck using an old mount that I have. It has about a 120" rack. I screw a step into a tree and hang it thru a hole I drilled in the back. I brush it in around the lower area so it doesn't look so odd. I've had bucks walk right up to it and look it in the eyes. I think the glass eyes have such a natural look that it holds there attention. I usually set it in front of me about 25 yards out and they tend to come in at a quartering away angle which I really like. I carry it in a large bag and always wear rubber gloves when I handle it. I have a Redi Doe also, but, I have not had much luck with it. I had 1 buck spook when it saw it, but the setup was wrong. It seems to work the best with any decoy if the deer can see your setup from a short way off and not be startled by it.

I have only used my decoy as a doe once, with similar results as posted above. The deer coming in stopped for the longest time and eventually took off perhaps because the "doe" didn't move.

However I've had great luck with a buck decoy with buck urine sprayed on the ground (not on the decoy) and the decoy's ears inserted backwards to look like they're layed back in an aggressive pose. I've had several deer circle the decoy over and over again. I took a nice 9-pointer this way in 2000 and passed on several borderline & smaller bucks this year, all fooled the same way. (I waited for the big guy that never showed up!)

This explains why I don't lke the redi-doe, it wouldn't make a good looking buck, and buck decoys are all I use. But everyone has their own tactics and opinions....

Top Bottom