Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

deer gun

shackdaddy

this will be my first year hunting deer with a shotgun and all i have is a remington 870 12 gauge express mag. with just the stock barrel ive used it for ducks and turkeys but thats it... do i need to change the barrel or whats the other options?

If you don't have the cash, just get some rifled slugs and practice with your smooth barrel. I killed a lot of deer with a similar set up when I started.

my thing is if im going to pay $250 on a new barrel i might as well buy a new gun... i did buy some rifled slugs but my buddy said he wouldnt shoot them with this gun but im not sure if he knows much more than i do in this case

If your ever in Cabela's look in the bargain cave there are usually a TON of barrel returns for 1/2 price (especially remington). I have found if you ask you can usually get them to lower the price a little more...

Also I just looked there are 35 on ebay!

Other than that I get most of my big items from Buck Hollow here in Pella, Boyd can hook you up with a very good price on what your looking for...

Good Luck!

EBAY Buck Hollow

If you don't buy a slug barrell, I would at minimum by the rifled choke for the 870, i have hunted with this setup for 10 years now, it is a great combo especially with some of the newer slugs like the Buckhammers, they are deadly out to 100yds. I can't remember what I paid for the rifled choke, 30 bucks I think and it was well worth it

smooth (bird) barrel=rifled slugs
rifled barrel=sabot slugs

eperiment with different chokes (NOT the full choke) i believe improved cylinder or modified, (i think IC)you should be dealy out to 75 yards and 100 yards will be "do-able"

I have a 870 express that I have used 15 years. It has a smooth bore and rifle sights. I use winchester slugs the cheap kind. $7 for 15 and I will kill more deer than the guys with the fancy set ups and won't have to worry about scratching it or anything. Don't let them fool you.

My advice--- buy a good red dot scope. Mine was $100 at Sheels but it was the best thing I ever bought for gun hunting. I was sceptical at first but I would never shoot at a deer with a shotgun without one.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

i did buy some rifled slugs but my buddy said he wouldnt shoot them with this gun but im not sure if he knows much more than i do in this case

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Maybe he thinks your gun is to pretty
grin.gif

Also might want to look in the classifieds on here to see what you can find.

throw in the ic or the modified and you will be fine i know a lot of people that shoot the smooth bore 870s during shotgun including myself. only thing I have done is buy a green tru glo bead and added a sling. like stated earlier if your gun huntin its goin to get scratched no matter how much you try to prevent it. it should shoot fine. only way to find out is to go out and shoot it.

Top Bottom