Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Herds/Bucks Brawling

CornDude

I'd like to know what some of your opinions/facts are on this.
Are bucks fighting over does during the rut? Are the herds getting so large that the bucks aren't fighting because there are so many does?
I know there have been some nice bucks found locked together but has the brawling for does decreased as the herd populations have increased?
-corndude

Corn Dude
I believe you are right. On a piece of ground another bowhunter and I have agreed that we only kill 130 inch deer or above or a doe.
Our shotgun group has a $50 rule: If you shoot a deer that grosses under 140 inches it costs you $50. Otherways you shoot a doe. In three years that we have made that rule we have taken over 45 does and 5 bucks.
The point is that you should see how much more effective the rattling is in pre-rut on that piece of ground than it is on other land I hunt only 15 miles away. I'm a firm believer that if you have less does the bucks do compete alot more for love.
It only makes sense if there was 15 cute girls in a bar and 1 big dude had one of the girls would you go through the pain of fighting or would you just grab a different girl and be on your way with no fight.
I'm sure there is a more scientific way to say it but I do know trimming does out of the herd on private ground increases your odds when it comes to the rattling antlers.

Top Bottom