Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer hunting property Polk county

INative

Hi everyone,

I've been reading here for a while, but just now making my first post. I've been kind of struggling to find some decent hunting property in Polk county. I just moved to iowa from Indiana in May. I do have some ground available in Marion county but that's going to be a weekend only adventure since its about an hour away. Plus it's not all that great for hunting anyway. I've been checking out some public places up around Big Creek but I never leave thinking it'll be a decent spot. Too much trash littered everywhere and very little sign of deer. Anyway, if anybody would be willing to help me out in any way it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be more than willing to check out a piece of public if someone could recommend a decent area or if you have private property I'd be fine with that too. Just don't invite me if it will hurt your hunting any. I don't like to step on toes.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Last edited:
There is plenty of public around big creek. I know a couple of people that have had great success on those pieces. The farther your willing to hike in, the better the sign gets!

Good luck, and welcome to the site!

There some great public hunting along the desmoines river off of vandalia about 5 miles north of highway 5 bypass. I did some turkey hunting up that way and saw some nice deer sign and very few people use it I think it is around 28000 acres only some if it is In Polk county

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Iowa

Head a little south,maybe next county down, ask on some smaller parcels, someone will give you permission

Pick a spot anywhere from Saylorville lake all the way up to Fraser, ia on the public along the des moines river and you will be in more than descent hunting.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll have to check out some of these areas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our deer tag county specific? I know I saw something about this somewhere. Sorry I'm used to the Indiana laws.

I've hunted Neil Smith Wildlife Refuge just east of Des Moines in Jasper County. A lot of it is prairie, but there are also some woodlots between farms. I saw a good number of deer and a few nice bucks as well.

Big Creek gets hit pretty hard. Everybody from Ames to Des Moines and all the surrounding areas hunt that place. However, you can do it and be successful if you can find an area less pressured. Sorry I can't tell you where that is, I hunt there too!

Ha that's fine iabwhntr . I probably went to your place today. Found someone's promos trail cam. Thought about making some faces or taking a leak in front of it. Didn't though. Also found someone's flashlight that they must have dropped on their way out. Still works even. I just hate the idea of walking up on other hunters especially in the morning when it's dark or after an evening hunt. I wish there was some sort of map and you know when and where someone is.

Top Bottom