Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer just do not get it....

letemgrow

PMA Member
All the money put into seed, fertilizer, spraying and for what?? They are browsing the weeds and loving it!!

They should be eating the soybeans instead of the giant ragweed!!! There was a lot of hard work put in trying to grow those beans anyways. Maybe they are trying to help my brother out with his bean yields :p

Weeds are HIGHLY underrated for deer food IMO...not counting they are free and grow in either flood/drought conditions. Why do we fight them so and not give them the credit they deserve from a food plotting perspective??? Give them some places to grow on idle ground and make not only more food, but cover for a good portion of the year too.

I'll always have acres of "weeds" yearly (to go along side some actual food plots) on my place since they are so beneficial to many wildlife species where I feel that food plots are really only beneficial (for the most part) to a select few species that we as hunters are after.

Last edited:
On the topic of what deer eat, I thought they would leave my rape and radish alone until late in the season? I have beans and corn all around me, yet they mowed my radish and rape almost to the ground back in August!

Some excellent hunting has come year after year on a friends farm who mows his thistles. They feed on bottom part of plant all the way to roots like I've never seen before.
I am glad u found out what that is. Sounds like u have a new food plot seed company about to start!!

Our deer really browsed the waterhemp early. Not much use now that it has dried out a little bit. There is no question that many weeds have a big benefit to wildlife, especially upland birds. Just don't tell a farmer you're letting them propagate.

Our deer really browsed the waterhemp early. Not much use now that it has dried out a little bit. There is no question that many weeds have a big benefit to wildlife, especially upland birds. Just don't tell a farmer you're letting them propagate.

Weeds are bad news for a farmer. For us food plotters, they are a blessing in disguise. Most all of us have acres that are not in food plots but rather cool season grasses. Those type areas would be ideal to change to annual weeds since as they stand most are barren when it comes to wildlife.

A type of goosefoot (best I can tell), lambs quarter family growing on some of the poorest clay soils I know. Deer r just pounding it!

F29E8F64-FEC0-4459-B3C3-F01B0CDD2404-2349-000002DB73BC62CC_zps12cafff2.jpg

Weeds

Biggest deer I saw last year in Iowa was on my farm eating weeds with alfalfa right next to it! Deer come to this 1/4 acre patch of weeds and for the life of me dont know why? I let a 14 acre cornfield go to weeds this year as its right next to the neighbor. The weeds are over 6 ft high in it and I know there will be deer in it like good crp grass.:eek:

Weeds are bad news for a farmer. For us food plotters, they are a blessing in disguise. Most all of us have acres that are not in food plots but rather cool season grasses. Those type areas would be ideal to change to annual weeds since as they stand most are barren when it comes to wildlife.

While my initial experience with "weed plots" v. "food plots" was not necessarily intentional, as my first weed plots were really supposed to be food plots or switchgrass plantings...:D I have been very interested in observing the wildlife on my farm as they relate to weedy areas. I now believe that weeds areas are as important aspect as anything else really in terms of creating high quality, diverse wildlife habitat.

#1. Quail seem to just blow up when there are plenty of weeds around. This, even though we have not really had a good dry spring nesting season in about 5 years. Not only do the quail like the seeds(food) from the weeds, they also need the mostly bare ground that is found underfoot AND the fairly decent overhead cover to protect them from hawks, etc. If we ever get a good nesting season I may have to retire from deer hunting and just go after Mr. Bob full time!

#2. Pheasants are also coming back strong on my place, I think due in large part to the weedy areas I now purpose to create and leave alone each year. I had three young of the year roosters in the yard of my cabin a couple of weeks ago and I was as happy seeing them as any 10 point buck on the farm, because I "knew" they were there due to continued habitat improvements that we have been making.

#3. Deer also frequent the weedy areas and since this is Iowa Whitetails I thought I better throw that in there. :D

I now plan on devoting at least 2-3 acres per year just to annual weeds. I also place these areas adjacent to other bird/wildlife friendly crops and plantings like switchgrass, EW and milo. So it is hard to say which feature is more to cause for the increased bird numbers, but I am very happy to say that we will be loading the shotguns later this fall and chasing down a few of those "weed eaters". :D

To create weedy areas I have alternatively done one or more of the following activities:
1. Mow the CRP and then use Roundup to kill the predominant brome and then just let nature take its course and whatever grows, grows.

2. Mow and then disk lightly to get some bare soil and then let nature take over.

3. Do not mow first, but then spray a light dose of RUP in the fall to mostly kill brome.

4. Burn the brome CRP in the early spring and then let it grow back which will produce some diversity OR burn first and then spray RUP about 2-3 weeks after the burn to really kill regrowing brome.

5. Leave a portion of the previous years rye crop stand through the spring and early summer. I believe this provides nesting/fawning cover and then in say mid-July, go in and flatten it and/or mow it. This avoids killing the new born creatures of the year, but also leaves enough weed growing time in the back half of the summer to get some interesting things growing too.

The key thing in all of these strategies is to kill the brome, if not 100%, at least 50%. In my mind, brome is as bad for quail as the Farm Bureau is for deer!

It does seem to me that depending upon the time of the year that you perform some of these techniques, spring/summer/fall, you will tend to get different weed species dominating a given area the next growing season. So I try to mix it up some and do a little bit in different seasons of the year just to hopefully create more variety.

I am sure that I still have much to learn in terms of providing the best weedy habitat possible, but I can also say that even if you screw it up, you can still come out good by allowing/causing weeds to dominate certain parts of your landscape.

Biggest deer I saw last year in Iowa was on my farm eating weeds with alfalfa right next to it! Deer come to this 1/4 acre patch of weeds and for the life of me dont know why? I let a 14 acre cornfield go to weeds this year as its right next to the neighbor. The weeds are over 6 ft high in it and I know there will be deer in it like good crp grass.:eek:

Even better than crp grass as forbes provide a lot more "stuff" than just a field of grasses.

Did you ID the "weed" that buck was eating next to the alfalfa? Let me know if you find out what it is. :grin:

Weeds provide food and cover (for at least half the year) all in one spot. Not counting the benefits as Daver stated for upland game birds.

Common ragweed is the #1 native quail plant. Had a quail die on a telemetry study while working for the MDC. This quail was in between a cut corn and beanfield...full of only common ragweed that November day. :way:

Deer come to this 1/4 acre patch of weeds and for the life of me dont know why?

IMO, taller weeds in a plot only make it more attractive for older bucks since they feel much safer that way eating than in say a clean mowed clover plot.

Obviously surrounding pressure has a lot do to with it as well, but those weeds can make great screening cover so they feel safe where they are actually feeding at.

It does seem to me that depending upon the time of the year that you perform some of these techniques, spring/summer/fall, you will tend to get different weed species dominating a given area the next growing season. So I try to mix it up some and do a little bit in different seasons of the year just to hopefully create more variety.

Excellent observation!! I've noticed that working up ground later in the spring or early summer makes foxtail explode in growth. Talk about some great pheasant habitat and I've jumped many deer out of that stuff even in late winter.

I've sprayed areas with roundup in August and left it idle and had piles of clover growing up the following year. Mixing it up is a great way to get free food of various sources.

One fall I sprayed and had this beautiful patch of "weeds" growing the following year. Jumped a fawn out of this area too.

Top Bottom