Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Limping major problem- hoove issues- multiple deer/farms?!?!????

I am curious to hear more about this, but we have been all over our farm now and not found any dead bucks FWIW. A couple of dead does, one near a road, so possibly a road hit...the other one is too far gone to to say.

We did see some limping late in the season, but I sort of think it may have been due to the icy snow and possibly damage from walking on that.

Sloughing of hooves is a sign of EHD. In found 3 dead with sloughing in early spring after the bad outbreak in 2012. They weren't dead too long so I assume they were weakened by EHD and died months later.

Going down this weekend. My neighbor found a couple dead bucks last weekend.

Sloughing of hooves is a sign of EHD. In found 3 dead with sloughing in early spring after the bad outbreak in 2012. They weren't dead too long so I assume they were weakened by EHD and died months later. Going down this weekend. My neighbor found a couple dead bucks last weekend.
At the DNR meeting for the IBA banquet a couple weeks ago they did mention some instances of foot rot not a lot of detail but they did mention it. They also discussed the EHD contributing factor as well.

Got a video in the last month of a young doe limping with a swelled up foot. Wouldn't put much weight on it. Can't really tell what the hoof looks like in the video tho.

Oh man- diving into thick timber- helping some guys on tsi, guys shed hunting, weed tree removal & dirt work by water.. Been on maybe 12 farms all over- I've NEVER EVER EVER seen so many dead bucks. This weekend was sickening. All over in lots of areas. I think like anything it's in pockets- just like EHD of the past. Over a dozen farms - getting into areas so random & secluded & hidden- never would have noticed them I'm gonna say between workers, buddies, myself & family - covering a few thousand acres- hmmmm- 50-70 dead bucks?? Dead serious no joke. I have a 807 that so far has 1 dead buck. Then, 15 mins away on a big farm of mine I stumbled on maybe 15 dead ones. Most have hoof deformities and many have been recent deaths. If say death ranges from late August until 2 weeks ago. Found 9 by ponds on my big farm. I'm so stumped and bothered it's crazy. Consistent across almost all my buddies farms as well. What in the heck?!?!??

scary scary scary. As sportsman, our collective deer hunting "reality" is fragile and could change in a blink of an eye. Personally, this changes everything I thought I knew about EHD. I mean this past year was WET. I guess EHD can no longer be considered a dry season threat if in fact it is EHD that is causing this. I have found a few dead ones and the fresh ones were southern. I've walked a ton in Madison and not found 1 that I suspected was a EHD death. This same area was hammered in 2012 & 2013.
It seems different parts of the state or different pockets take turns getting decimated, which I don't understand whatsoever. Nature can be cruel.

I noticed an abnormal amount limping in KS this year also it seemed. Maybe the telemetry study going on in MO now will shed some light on how many die from natural causes a year....

Top Bottom