Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer movement vs Early cold snap??

bowman

Super Moderator
I pulled a card today on a cam that is over a scrape with a freshly cut corn field in the background. The field was combined on November 7th, the same day I put the card out. It had over 1500 photos on it in the 7 days it was out.

The 7-12th there was tons of daytime and night time movement with the peak movement being on Nov. 11th when there was daylight movement all day long, broad daylight, in the open field.

The most interesting part was the last two nights, when the temps were in the teens, I did not get a single night time photo. Tons of daylight photos but none at night. Was it due to the cold? Camera issue in the cold? Coincidence? I don't know, but it was interesting. BTW, the same camera has run perfectly in the late season with extreme cold the past two years.

Could the early cold snap really slow down deer movement??

I noticed this hunting all day. Nov. 11 I did see nonstop deer moving all day. Slowed up since then but where I'm at they are tending does. One shooter the other night at almost dark ran a forkhorn out of the timber then went right back in.

i didn't see any movement until 8 this morning and the first 10 deer i saw had frost on their back. So i am guessing they were bedded all night.

Bucks on my camera last night were checking the scrape from 8-11 pm. Have had several opportunities at nice bucks the last few days but no shooters.

when it gets really cold. deer tend to move longer into the morning to get some of the warmth from the sun

Well....sat today/tonight from 1:30 to after dark. I saw 1 doe at 4:20 and then had 7 deer go single file by my stand at or just after shooting time. 2 buck and 5 doe. The Bucks had little interest in the doe's and vice versa. It was like a typical late season hunt for me. Deer got out of bed and went on a b-line to the field to feed.

I don't remember how many breeding pairs I saw this past week. I saw only a handful of bucks alone and cruising. It seems breeding is peaking in Van Buren Co where I hunted. I have seen a few at or around 150 but I haven't seen anything that looks 5 years old. The buck/doe ratio on the section is really solid. I would say 60% does. Friday afternoon between 1 and 2 pm there was constant activity in a cedar thicket. I did see a great looking 10 that wouldn't respond to my grunt call. Lafawnduh would have pulled him in. I'm going back to the woods Mon-Wed. I think they will start running out of estrus does in my area so there should be good movement. I hope. Good luck all.

Top Bottom