Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Numbers Poll

blake

Life Member
FINAL-COLLAGEflattened.gif

Iowabowhunters.org

hoofline.gif

Some of our IW members, both bow and gun hunters, feel that the deer numbers are down significantly in their hunting areas or counties this year. These hunters are reporting seeing less antlerless deer and fewer quality bucks than they did two to three years ago.

Some boots on the ground IDNR officers have also voiced their concern for the deer population and the quality of the hunting experience here in Iowa.

Yet, the decision makers at the top of the IDNR have stated that they want to reduce the deer population in Iowa to the early 1990’s population levels. So if you believe that the numbers in your area are down now wait a year or two.

Don’t forget to contact the members of the “Deer Study Committee” and let them know your thoughts.

So, what do you think? Do you feel that the deer population in your hunting area or county is too low, too high, or at the right carrying capacity?

Please feel free to voice your opinions; we are after all getting near the “time to contact your legislators”.

Your vote in this poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those iowawhitetail.com members who have chosen to participate. The results of this poll cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of all iowawhitetail.com users in general, nor the public as a whole. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

Please join and support the Iowa Bowhunters Association, united we can make a difference. For more information about becoming an IBA member>>>>>Details<<<<<
398ibalogo_1_.gif

Maybe we should have included which area or even county the voter hunted in. The DNR has maps of areas that are at their goals for herd size. It would be an interesting parallel.

The 'Bonker

I personally thought last year was about right here in Clinton and Southern Jackson County. The hunter in me says we need MORE, but I could see where numbers could have been a good compromise for collision, crop damage AND hunting LAST year.

This year is a different story. Numbers are down beyond a good compromise. I have talked to quite a few people having a rough time filling tags, bow and gun. My friend's gun group is sick about what they are seeing right now.

Though I only spent a week in Allamakee, I feel the numbers took a hit up there to.

I still do believe that the winter last year was alot harder on the deer herd than the DNR thought. There are still a ton of deer down where I hunt, and I will still kill as many doe's as I can.

Where I am seeing a big difference is surrounding properties, that used to hold quite a few deer, now there are only a few here and there. The property that I hunt is still way over popultated, but if you spread that number out over square miles, I think you would see a drop.

I only saw about half the number of deer I saw last year. I live in Clayton Co. Only saw 1 shooter, but he's hanging in the garage! No one in my group of 14 guy saw a big buck (150"+) except for me.

I know several people around here who are starting to think twice about shooting does.

Have friends in Winneshiek Co. who are saying the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we should have included which area or even county the voter hunted in. The DNR has maps of areas that are at their goals for herd size. It would be an interesting parallel.

The 'Bonker </div></div>
hoofline.gif

I actually thought about asking members that voted the poll to post the county they hunted in. However I don’t think many guys on here would have done so. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I agree it would have been an interesting parallel with the DNR’s numbers of deer populations.

I did a similar poll a year or two ago, in that poll I had the state divided up into 5-6 regions as I remember.

hoofline.gif

iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PMA Memberships and IBA Memberships & Renewals

hoofline.gif

pick a quadrant

Northwest
Northeast
Southeast
Southwest

I hunt in Southwest Iowa

The State divides the state into 20 WMAs for herd management. I have a paper copy of some Power Point slides that shows the WMAs and one that shows which counties are at the herd management level, ones that will reach the management levels with the current quotas and ones that need increased harvests to reach the management goals. So individual counties don't necessarily count. Tomorrow I’ll attempt to scan them and put them on here. I have to do some cropping to make it work and the resolution way not be good enough to post them, but I’ll try. I’d do it tonight, but the season finale of Boston Legal is on next and I had to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas. I hate when TV gets in the way of deer and deer hunting.

Mad cow ya know.

The ‘Bonker

Northeast Ia ....Clayton Co.
Numbers too low.
Down drastically from 4 years ago.
200+ hrs spent on farm observing and hunting.

A meaningless poll no matter what parameters are included: consider the audience. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

My family has owned our little 70 acres for almost 20 years now. This past fall I felt like it was 1988 all over again with the lack of deer activity, and mature buck sightings, which was Zero!
The neighbors have been given depredation tags for the last 3-4 years of the tune of 40-60 a year. The guy next door to our place bragged 2 years ago of his party killing 36 deer that came from my ground.....Don't get me started.............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iowabruce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The neighbors have been given depredation tags for the last 3-4 years of the tune of 40-60 a year. </div></div>

A state Depredation officer comes out to assess the monetary crop damage and determine the number of tags needed to alleviate the crop damage. It's all a balancing act.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A meaningless poll no matter what parameters are included: consider the audience. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

I tend to agree but...

Numbers are very high near my place in Davis County and I heard very little shooting in the surrounding areas, 80% of which is owner by hunters.

Numbers where I live in VB county are also pretty high. My neighbors killed 16 deer this past weekend but I pulled in the driveway to find a field full of deer.

There is going to be a huge variance in reports across the state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> consider the audience</div></div>

Thats seems pretty disrespectful to all the members of this site that are willing to respond.
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> consider the audience</div></div>

Thats seems pretty disrespectful to all the members of this site that are willing to respond.
Thanks. </div></div>

This is part of my post in PMA that started this thread:

Unfortunately, hunters are looked at like a kid eating jelly beans. No matter how many he eats, he always wants more until somebody tells him enough is enough and takes them away.

So this poll is indeed absolutely unscientific but I have yet to see research based on surveys or polls that I trust 100%. Especially when you are asking the choir to sing.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> consider the audience</div></div>

Thanks. </div></div>

I think that thought just means that we are all hunters on this site and the people who are resonsible for changing the quotas and laws are not likely to read whatever we come up with.

So we can post all we want but who's listening? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

As Blake mentions we have to contact legislators directly to really be heard.

I don't think it was meant to disrespect those that respond /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we have to contact legislators directly to really be heard. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

FINAL-COLLAGEflattened.gif

Iowabowhunters.org

hoofline.gif

My point extactly Paul, contact your state reps and support the IBA. The IBA is the only proactive voice for the Iowa deer hunter IMO.

hoofline.gif

Please join and support the Iowa Bowhunters Association, united we can make a difference. For more information about becoming an IBA member&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
398ibalogo_1_.gif

I'm surprised how many say it is too low. Overall, my areas are too low or just right but I do have two spots that are too high. If the population is too low in your area, are you still shooting does? The best way to up the population is to give them a free pass. I have the two spots that I shoot does. The other spots have the neighbors already shooting enough or too many of them that I will not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Unfortunately, hunters are looked at like a kid eating jelly beans. No matter how many he eats, he always wants more until somebody tells him enough is enough and takes them away.
</div></div>

I agree some what with your analogy Bonks but if there is input from different groups of interested parties to determine how many deer needs to be killed in different area's how can you not include hunters. Farmers are represented, insurance thieves are represented, we need input as well.

Top Bottom