Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer numbers. Up, Down or the same?

Highmark

PMA Member
I'd say thru the summer I've seen about 1/3 to 1/2 the deer I have the past 3-4 years on my property. I do not harvest many does anyway and the food sources have not really changed so I'm thinking the hard winters are taking its toll. Seeing more and more does with fewer or even without any fawns.

I'm thinking of taking a few years off of harvesting any does on my property.

You combine that with all the guys that are between 1 and 5 miles from you killing too many does- it will even out. Deer disperse, especially in spring, etc. Even the guys wiping the deer out 1-5 miles around you will have a dramatic affect to your area.

I've noticed less does on a couple properties the last couple years, but i'd say for the most part, the buck/doe ratio is still not ideal yet. i think the numbers will come back in most areas with just one or two mild winters.

The population is undoubtebly down in the last 4-5 years. Some say its a good thing, but that's of course debatable. Deer hunting is a money making venture for the state of IA, I wish we would keep our population high. But, I'm selfish being a hunter and want to see deer everytime I'm out.

I saw the decline starting in 2008 on the farm I hunted. Now, I'm on public land in a different area of the state and have alot of issues getting on the deer. I think if the DNR did a survey of hunters on public ground, they'd find a lot of dissatisfaction.

The are definitely less deer. I've been saying this for the last 5 years. Its your friendly insurance agencies that are the driving force to the killing of all the doe's. They don't want to have to pay all of the insurance claims. Especially since Iowa is #2 in the nation in deer/ car accidents.

Numbers are way down around here.....and it's pretty damn irritating considering Farm Bureau and Brandstad's alignment to deface the IDNR management plan. Knowing how our local shotgunners conduct themselves....they'll be about as many deer as pheasants around here next year.

Beans are all in here, been doing corn for 2 weeks. We've seen 5 deer. 2 adult does & 3 fawns. Oh & a couple rabbits. No pheasants & no antlers.

Top Bottom