Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer numbers

codywright

TENRINGER
Has anyone else noticed all year the number of does without fawns. I have been noticing alot of them. I am also not seeing the numbers of deer while on stand like usual. I am thinking maybe the winter may have been a little harder on the deer than we might have thought. Just wondering if anyone else has witnessed the dry does and less deer?

Since may, I can almost count on both hands the number of days I "haven't" seen does and fawns, most of them being twins on my short stretch of road by my house. I just bought this house in may, so, I don't know if it's an increase or decrease, but the deer sure seem to be plentiful by me.... Now the number of bucks would be a seperate issue. There was a lot of corn standing un until april this spring around here in muscatine county, so, i think they faired pretty well.

If I could I'd send some your way. I don't think I have seen a doe yet with just one fawn. Seems like all the does had twins this year around my farms.

Most the does I have seen have fawns but they seem small, some are still nursing. I do think the population is down as a whole but that is to be expected with the DNRs current policy.

I have way fewer fawns on my trail cams. Fewer fawn tracks in the mud etc. Haven't been in the stand much this fall so I haven't seen squat but I hope it is time related and not population.

The 'Bonker

Deer

If you are not seeing fawns, attribute it to a tougher winter or coyotes or a combination of the two.

I just talked a farmer this week who while combining witnessed a doe and a fawn come of the last few rows of the corn only to be attacked by coyotes this was well after dark. He turned around the coyotes had already killed the fawn. Sad, but reality. On a lighter note, I shot my first coyote ever with a bow this year, time to get the .243 out this winter!

I have actually seen a pretty good number of fawns. Most of the does I have seen have 2 with them and some with only one, I have only seen one doe without a fawn and harvested her.

If you are not seeing fawns, attribute it to a tougher winter or coyotes or a combination of the two.

I just talked a farmer this week who while combining witnessed a doe and a fawn come of the last few rows of the corn only to be attacked by coyotes this was well after dark. He turned around the coyotes had already killed the fawn. Sad, but reality. On a lighter note, I shot my first coyote ever with a bow this year, time to get the .243 out this winter!

What a coincidence! I MISSED my first coyote with a bow this year! :D

Top Bottom