Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer paths

IowaBucks44

IowaBucks44
My boss is letting me hunt on his land this year, he lives a few hours away so me and my crew forman are going to be sort of the over seers. they have food plotted this land for the past four or five years and there is a very thick patch of evergreens and thick brush and bigger trees between the food plots. We started making paths threw the thick part last weekend, just kind of wondering if were hurting or making the land any better, our hopes were to give the deer a better route from food source to food source, any advice or input would be great. thanks.

In my opinion most deer are lazy and will use the paths you created, but the shooter bucks will stay in the thicker stuff. This is especially true if they feel any hunting pressure.

Depends what you mean by thick. Seen properties with cedars so thick deer never used them. They used the edges and that was it. If that's what your talking about you will help. My guess is it will help concentrate movement as a whole. Be smart on approaches and set ups and keep pressure light as soon as you can and you should have success.

Deer will use truck trails, mowed paths and anything else that gives them a path of least resistance.

If you have some trail cams, put them on the mowed paths and see what is using them.

It would also depend how large is the patch of trees you are talking about,And how much land.And what do you mean by you started making paths.Mowing trails or just riding 4wheelers through it.

Top Bottom