Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer population

ok guys for what it is worth I have been in the taxidermy business for a lot of years. I have seen some ups and downs, but this year for sure is the worst I have ever seen by far. There are several factors for this but I will tell 2012 was one of the better years we ever had in northeast Iowa. Hope it recovers; cheers Jeff

My taxidermist is from the Riverside area and says the same thing. I dropped off my buck on the 22nd of Nov I think, and he only had three other deer to work on.

Man, I'm happy with my year so far. With spending 327 hours in the stand I have only seen 3 shooters and maybe 5 other young bucks.. I would be going crazy to see that many bucks in a day. My high is 4. People are just greedy nowadays. They think their farms have to be like the farms on the television.

I certainly agree that people are greedy. The complete destruction of habitat to put marginal land into full production is certainly greedy...

Who are the greedy ones? The farmers or the hunters? I for the life of me can't figure out this sence of entitlement that comes from hunters, especially bow hunters.

The same farmers you are calling greedy are the ones that let you hunt and ask for basically nothing but a 30 pack in return. They are the same farmers that have to fix fence because a bow hunter decided to cut wires to make it easier for deer to walk by his stand. They are the same guys that have to chase cattle around when they should be combining corn because a tresspassing bow hunter left a gate open.

This is 'Merica fellas. If you want a good deer property go buy some land and manage it for deer. If you say you can't afford a property to manage for deer, ask yourself why you think a farmer can afford land and manage for deer.

Ask a farmer to hunt, chances are if nobody is in there already you will get a chance. But ask a recreational landowner that owns land to hunt, see how far that gets you. Those same guys buy land and put it in timber reserve so that means no property tax for the schools where as the greedy farmers are paying the tax. No tax on purly recreational ground, that makes a lot of sence.

I swear if I ever hear from one of the 50 some guys that deer hunt or the 15-20 guys that turkey on our land about greedy farmers... well they would have to go talk to another greedy farmer about hunting.

The deer populations cycles, ups and downs, we are on a downward cycle. The corn market cycles the bulldozer market cycles, the land market cycles. It think there are more deer right now than 20 years ago, but less deer than 7-10 years ago. If you are truely concerned about the population decline stop shooting does.

Seriously think about it.

Who are the greedy ones? The farmers or the hunters? I for the life of me can't figure out this sence of entitlement that comes from hunters, especially bow hunters.

The same farmers you are calling greedy are the ones that let you hunt and ask for basically nothing but a 30 pack in return. They are the same farmers that have to fix fence because a bow hunter decided to cut wires to make it easier for deer to walk by his stand. They are the same guys that have to chase cattle around when they should be combining corn because a tresspassing bow hunter left a gate open.

This is 'Merica fellas. If you want a good deer property go buy some land and manage it for deer. If you say you can't afford a property to manage for deer, ask yourself why you think a farmer can afford land and manage for deer.

Ask a farmer to hunt, chances are if nobody is in there already you will get a chance. But ask a recreational landowner that owns land to hunt, see how far that gets you. Those same guys buy land and put it in timber reserve so that means no property tax for the schools where as the greedy farmers are paying the tax. No tax on purly recreational ground, that makes a lot of sence.

I swear if I ever hear from one of the 50 some guys that deer hunt or the 15-20 guys that turkey on our land about greedy farmers... well they would have to go talk to another greedy farmer about hunting.

The deer populations cycles, ups and downs, we are on a downward cycle. The corn market cycles the bulldozer market cycles, the land market cycles. It think there are more deer right now than 20 years ago, but less deer than 7-10 years ago. If you are truely concerned about the population decline stop shooting does.

Seriously think about it.

I was meaning hunters are becoming greedy. But along with that so are the big farmers

Sod

What was that quote? "Deer and trees won't put my kids through college."

"I certainly agree that people are greedy. The complete destruction of habitat to put marginal land into full production is certainly greedy..."

So next time your boss offers you a raise you should turn it down right. It would be greedy to accept it. No difference in a farmer trying to increase his profit margins by turning that marginal ground into production.

It is what is fellas and bitching about on a website is pointless. I for one am extremely thankful for those farmers that let me hunt and do what I can to help them out. If I had my way I would be farming again. maybe someday.

Top Bottom