Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer processing question - brats

CamoMan

For those of you who make your own brats, how much are you paying this year for natural casings? Last year, we bought them from a local Fareway for about $18 for enough to package 100 pounds. My neighbor went there today, and when he got a pack from the meat department, they said the cost would be $57. He told them what we paid last year, and they simply replied the costs had gone up. I think more likely, they don't want to sell casings to the public. We are in the Des Moines area - any suggestions on where to get them? (Todd's Spices in Des Moines doesn't sell them - we checked there, already.) Thanks

Triple the price???? Man, I would have told them to stuff 'em!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sorry for the bad pun, I'll talk to a friend who makes his own brats and see where he gets his.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triple the price???? Man, I would have told them to stuff 'em!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

bad pun is right.....
wow....

you are a brilliant man, Randy!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

camo man
just getting home from work , and my Dad processes all his own stuff, has a big smoking room, does all his sticks, jerkey, brats, all that stuff.ill get back tomorrow with you on this, i know hes sleeping now. he orders some on line, but duepays(sp) out of Des Moines keeps coming to mind. ill let you know for sure tuesday.if you would like to leave me a private message, with phone number, my dad would call you, hes proably got some hed sell, trust me , hes got tons of this stuff. he just got done precessing deer for a friend , sausage, salami, sticks, he can tell you where to get it , if he doesnt have enough to sell you.

Dupey Equipment has them in stock. 32-34mm preflushed fresh hog casings $47.00/hank. A hank will do about 100 lbs of product. They are located at 2048 NW 92nd ct Clive 223-0700. You may call for pricing in case it has changed. Also Sausagemaker.com or Eldon Sausage Supplies to purchase online if you are looking to do a smaller amount of products.

Well, I have done some online work tonight, and found a hank for as low as $25, up to $45 plus shipping. I think I'll visit a couple other local grocery stores, and see what their meat departments can do.

Another question for those who process and package ring bologna - do you use the single collagen casings that tie at the end, or do you buy the longer rolls ? We have always used the single ones because they are convenient, but they are kind of pricey when compared to buying the collagen casings in bulk. If I switched to bulk, I suppose I would have to use the hog rings to fasten the ends . . right? Thanks in advance for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ibowbigbucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the hog rings-locking pliers work better, faster, and get a better seal. </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Dupey has the casings for about .35ea then you have to buy the rings and pliers. I am sure they are about the same price at Todds. I know at one time Sausagemaker.com had a kit that had the seasoning, casings, pliers and rings together for about $20.00 and would do about 25 lbs.

Top Bottom