Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Processing

KCCyclone

This year I am going to start processing my own deer. I ran into some bad luck with the locker last year and would like to try it myself. Does anyone have any diagrams that show where the cuts need to be made or any advice on how to make the process smoother? Thanks.

Those diagrams are a good start but hands on experience is probably best, it isn't that hard once you get one infront of ya and do it once or twice.

Just cut the deer in thirds first it will make it alot easier on you. Hind legs, Rib and loin area and then the neck and front legs. the front legs are not attached by bone so just cut down through the arm pit area. on the mid section set it on the table so that the back straps are facing up to you then run your knife down each side of the spine. Then take your finger and run it between the loin and the outer layer or the flank. Once you get the back strap off fillet the silver skin off the loin you will be glad that you did. The back legs you just take the meat off the bone in one chunk and then cut a butt roast then about 4 or 5 steaks then the shank roast.
Don't know if this will help untill you get one infront of you. Have a sharp knife and try to cool it for a day with the skin off, it will wake it alot easier on you, and don't bother trying to pick the hair off, just use a torch, much simpler.

You forgot one step, after you get the loin out start the grill. A man can work up a powerful hunger processing a deer. Good luck and good eaten.
grin.gif

Top Bottom