Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Spaying

Deer By Judibabes

I am interested in your thoughts/opinions about spaying deer in State Wildlife Management areas which would be a non-lethal method to co-exist humanely and reduce the deer population.

Do understand, I support all hunters and their rights but I am interested in the safe havens we establish for deer that communities have embraced and often visit. Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs is a state wildlife management area I often visit for the majority of my pictures. I have come to love all deer I have photographed and often watched them grow, become large bucks, mothers, etc. I am interested in protecting the deer that call that park home by controlling the population in a more humane method. But, I am interested in constructive criticism and help seeing the entire picture before pursuing this.

If you are interested, I have a page on facebook called "Deer by Judibabes" which at some point I would like to use those photos to raise money to support deer causes/groups I have come to love. Whitetails Unlimited being one.

Last edited:
Unless the area is enclosed by a high, deer proof fence, I feel any attempts to control the population through spaying or other forms of "birth control" will be futile due to the transient nature of deer.

I thought this article would be beneficial in response to your inquiry. I would echo the sentiments in this article. Deer spaying and contraceptives have been tried before in Chicago suburbs and in New York with little success. In the times we live, I feel that another waste of taxpayers money is unjust. Hunting has proven to be far and away the most sound method for managing our deer herds. The meat can be used for shelters and the cost of the tags go directly back into conservation efforts. Not to mention the gear used by the hunters is usually purchased locally putting money back into the local businesses. I cannot see the benefits of spaying efforts. I know you love these deer, but what you have to understand is we as hunters have more regard and respect for these animals than any other group of people that I know of. Enjoy the read.

It’s becoming painfully obvious that I was born at least a hundred years too late. I arrived upon this realization after researching deer birth control, which is the new fix-all solution being proposed by the “enlightened elite” or anti-hunting organizations. In fact, there are currently several websites devoted entirely to promoting this “morally superior” deer management program over hunting. Recently, a group of residents in Princeton, New Jersey tried to block a private sharp-shooting firm from removing deer in their town. In addition, a poll conducted by Rutgers University revealed that half of New Jersey residents believed an animal’s life to be as sacred as a human being’s. I guess there are either a lot of vegetarians running around in New Jersey or a bunch of hypocrites participated in the poll. In my opinion, hunters really need to start spreading the truth about deer birth control and the benefits of hunting in general.

Reality vs. Make-believe
Did you know it actually costs a staggering $1,000 per doe to implement the deer birth control vaccine for the first two years of treatment? The program is extremely high-priced and very labor intensive. Workers are required to shoot does with vaccine-laden darts that only last through one rutting period. I am definitely not an accountant, but it doesn’t take a mathematician to see just how expensive this program could be for taxpayers. In most cases, areas that were densely populated with deer had disastrous results with the birth control management plan. Basically, the program costs huge sums of money, but fails to get the job done. On the other hand, cities with large deer herds that permitted special archery seasons were able to dramatically reduce numbers. Once again, hunting has proven to be the most logical, inexpensive and effective way to manage a healthy deer herd. It’s imperative that non-hunters be exposed to actual facts instead of all the anti-hunting propaganda that comes out of fantasy land.

Benefits of Hunting
In the real world, the success of whitetails and other types of wildlife can be directly linked to hunters. Money from hunting licenses and equipment sales help fund state wildlife agencies, habitat improvement projects and re-introduction stocking programs. Wildlife agencies conduct extensive work and research that helps maintain healthy populations of wildlife across the nation. How much money does anti-hunting organizations actually spend on whitetails or any animal for that matter? Most of their funds are geared toward running sensational ads, publicity stunts and for gaining celebrity support. However, hunting builds strong family bonds, helps maintain healthy wildlife populations, prevents the spread of disease and has a positive impact on animals. As hunters, what are some ways we can get our message across and fight this nonsense?

I want to stress with every ounce of my being, I am NOT anti-hunting and understand and support hunters along with their rights. I am only seeking your opinion and never mentioned tax payers spending their money on something of this nature. I have no hidden agenda nor will I ever belong to groups that slam the right of another.

Wildlife management areas such as Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs is supported greatly by the community. While you stress the money that goes back into communities by hunters, there are families and individuals that visit that park weekly, daily and simply drive thru, picnic, camp, etc. which all takes money to do. Gas to drive around the lake, food for picnics, supplies to camp, all that is probably bought in our community and supporting businesses, etc. As you described the role of the hunter and the money he/she spends and where it goes and what it funds.

This park is a family gathering place of humans and wildlife for a reason. Whether a hunter or just a lover of animals, we need to support one another equally with open minds. These deer have and will return to this park annually and some never leave. I believe it's important to control that population to prevent the park from overflowing to avoid the deer traveling to the near community for food and creating issues for the city, travelers of streets and highways, etc.

Deer spaying, the removal of ovaries, is NOT that expensive as noted in article about spaying in general. I have no means to support the spaying of the deer but I do intend to look into such procedure and cost along with raising funds to support it.

As I said, I support your rights and everyone else's and hope you respect my right and love of deer but with only a camera do I shoot them with.

I'm with JRBRONC on this one.. Unless you have a population of wildlife completely contained, ie. High Fence, you will be wasting your time. If funds for this are coming from volunteers pockets such as YOURS, go for it. However, if any government funding or money from the DNR supported this, I would be against it. I'm not paying for something that I would be willing to do for free.

Some areas are not appropriate for hunting so there has to be another means of controlling the population.

Thank you for all your comments and voicing your opinion and allowing me to take your constructive criticism or strong positions to see a different side of this idea.

I get it, I get you, I just hope you get me and understand MY POSITION!

Some areas are not appropriate for hunting so there has to be another means of controlling the population.

Nope, completely disagree! Why is it not appropriate? because a bunch of liberal anti's say it's not? because you think it's not politically correct for people to see blood or kill an animal? because someone using the park may get offended if they see someone hunting?

Let me ask you a question.......... Do you know why we have a sustainable deer herd in the United States now? Do you know who is responsible for managing that herd to get them to the levels we have now? Do you understand that hunting and killing deer has been the MOST effective way to manage and control populations? Long before we had all of these liberal tree hugging hippies, hunters were helping to provide habitat and manage these animals, which we continue to do. I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you on hunting not being the appropriate method of management in any case. Close the park during hunting season and have a revenue generating bow season in the park to keep the quantities in check. Continue to enjoy the deer and photograph them, but don't pull this Bob Barker crap on us.

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of milarcky gets me fired up! Spaying deer............... seriously? Next thing you know these waterheads will be trying to put condoms on the bucks during the rut.

I find it interesting how I wasn't even given the opportunity to defend my comments and one person quickly lashes out as I feared would happen. Do you seriously believe, me, a single parent and woman, would come to a forum of such with some sort of agenda and insists you do it "my way." Nope, not what I had intended.

But, now I have been called names and quickly grouped with others who have an agenda and are against hunting.

Pathetic and simply proves how one bad apple spoils the rest. I bet you sit in your recliner, beer next to you, remote in one hand and the other scratching your balls wishing you had something better to do. Pfffffttt.....

I shall continue to pursue deer spaying without you and without your support and judgement. Along with name calling. Grow up.

Why should that park be off limits? Its no different than city hunts..Let the archers in and shoot em after they pass a test... any means of birth control is pointless, as stated, because they wander to much, migrate, so on and so forth..so thats just a lost cost, and wasted money that can go into much more beneficial programs

What did you expect when the first thing that you typed, was that you have a wish of deer and man co-existing and managing the herd "humanely"?

Well Sister, you touched a nerve! Maybe I am the neandrathol that you say I am, but when people like you try to play God and physically alter deer.... well, I have a problem with that.

Hold on, gotta get up and get another beer....................................

Ok I'm back

You didn't answer my questions earlier! I am curious to know why you think in this case that hunting and killing the deer would be inhumane and "not appropriate"? Please tell me why you feel that way. Is it because you are attached to these animals? Is it because they are in a urban area? Do you not like the taste of venison? Please explain? And yes, when you come on a forum that is made up of hunters and sportsman and you choose the verbage that you have..... don't expect it to go without some rebuttle.

Pfffffffft :grin:

I find it interesting how I wasn't even given the opportunity to defend my comments and one person quickly lashes out as I feared would happen. Do you seriously believe, me, a single parent and woman, would come to a forum of such with some sort of agenda and insists you do it "my way." Nope, not what I had intended.

But, now I have been called names and quickly grouped with others who have an agenda and are against hunting.

Pathetic and simply proves how one bad apple spoils the rest. I bet you sit in your recliner, beer next to you, remote in one hand and the other scratching your balls wishing you had something better to do. Pfffffttt.....

I shall continue to pursue deer spaying without you and without your support and judgement. Along with name calling. Grow up.

I think you've carried yourself very well so far..........don't let one reply get you in a tizzy. It's obvious you share a similiar passion so I won't judge you based on your beliefs. I will say though........Scratching and beer drinking is fairly relaxing at times and doesn't necessarily make a man a bad person.:way:

I am so sorry, I didn't realize we were "brothers and sisters" as you just referred to me as your sister. Which means, our parents would suggest sibling rivalry take a back seat.

Go get another beer and scratch that itch as I intend to be a lady. Enjoy!!!

btw, just an fyi, I think more like a man than you will ever realize. You would be surprised at the way I think and support your ways and THOUGHTS. But, one will never know without asking questions and just judging others before giving others the chance to explain more.

@critter- thanks and I agree scratching and having a beer is relaxing to some and doesn't make them a bad person. Shit, I'm raising 3 boys that entertain me with such behavior. Love them dearly.

But, one will never know without asking questions and just judging others before giving others the chance to explain more.

I did ask....... and you're not answering any of them. I believe I am the one being judged here.... beer, itchy balls, remotes....... holy stereotyping! haha

I am asking why you feel the need to use spaying instead of hunting to control the deer populations.

your ball........

Why do you feel some areas are not appropriate for hunting? I like the idea of closing off the park for a couple weeks and let hunters thin the herd. It will help provide another source of revenue for the park and help thin the herd.

The Government will never do it, it takes money away insted of them getting revenue from hunting. Just sayin' it's never going to happen in any of our life times.

Why do you feel some areas are not appropriate for hunting? I like the idea of closing off the park for a couple weeks and let hunters thin the herd. It will help provide another source of revenue for the park and help thin the herd.

^^
I like this idea.

Last edited:
those deer have become loved by people in our community, such as myself. There is also a housing area on the lake, behind the park. Along with deer, people fish, camp, picnic, etc. Why should they have to give up something for a few weeks so that the herd can be thinned out by hunters? Not that I am suggesting it isn't appropriate, I just like the idea of spaying them to prevent a larger herd. When I say the deer stay there, I am being honest about that. There are some that just won't leave and those that stay should be spayed. In my opinion that is.

Also, I have come to love them and so I wouldn't want them killed. When you, or the state gives an animal a "safe haven" I feel we should continue to make it such. I feed those deer and hoped this summer it was going to be from the palm of my hand. Have yet to do so but have gotten extremely close.

I am not one bit opposed to hunting and support feeding the needy with it when trying to thin out a herd. I'm just opposed to doing so in a sanctuary we made for them. How do you justify killing an animal that became comfortable in a sanctuary that humans visit daily? That is my beef if you will.

I support hunting and will be going this fall but I don't support shutting down a park to thin out the herdof deer that found a safe haven made by mankind. Just isn't right.

images

I am not one bit opposed to hunting and support feeding the needy with it when trying to thin out a herd. I'm just opposed to doing so in a sanctuary we made for them. How do you justify killing an animal that became comfortable in a sanctuary that humans visit daily? That is my beef if you will.
Well, that is the Catch 22, I guess. A sanctuary was formed and the deer got comfortable, now how do you roll back the clock? That same sanctuary will continue to pull in other deer as well, further compounding the problem.

How about the reintroduction of wolves or mountain lions?

Also, I have come to love them and so I wouldn't want them killed. When you, or the state gives an animal a "safe haven" I feel we should continue to make it such. I feed those deer and hoped this summer it was going to be from the palm of my hand. Have yet to do so but have gotten extremely close.

You admit wanting a petting zoo, so fence it and spay away at your expense.

Bottom line, unless it is a high fenced property where no deer can leave or enter, it is a waste of time and $ trying to perform any kind of birth control. All of the other arguments are irrelevant. I'm going to go drink a beer and scratch my balls now since this horse has been beaten to death.

Top Bottom