Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Study Updated 1/3

Re: Deer Study Update 12/30

Granted, I do think the reductions are a little drastic. They can target the population all they want. It comes down to access to WHERE the "problem" deer are at! Those who control enough ground are immune to population control target levels, be that good or bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Granted, I do think the reductions are a little drastic. They can target the population all they want. It comes down to access to WHERE the "problem" deer are at! Those who control enough ground are immune to population control target levels, be that good or bad. </div></div>

I agree totally.

I sat and watched 50 - 60 deer the other night on land I can not hunt across the road.

Did not see deer one on my land. I would be happy to take three or four does out of the 50-60. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How many of those acres are water? How many are city acres? How many of them are flat road to road ag fields where deer probably wouldn't live anyway? Start pushing the deer into the much smaller percentage of Iowa acres that are "deer habitat" and the number per sq mile comes up a bit.
</div></div>

All water was removed from the calculation, cities are not although don't forget other than a few cases, city deer aren't huntable so every one in the city is subtracting from the number of huntable deer yet they still count toward the population as a whole. Yes, I thought of all those things too and of course it makes a difference but it also makes an eye catching point which was the intent, that and I was bored. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Being at least a little serious though, one thing that may actually be worth pondering is ALOT of our land is covered in ag. For many of us bowhunters, these days much of that ag is often in the field for a good share of our prime season so all standing corn at minimum is now in play as "habitat". That's a lot of acres right there in this state. If you thought hunting with crops in was tough before it'll be much more of a challenge if these numbers are reached. So take that all you forward thinking analysts. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom