Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

deer tracking device

-iabowhunter-

I was looking at the 2014 ATA and the new gear/inventions. I couldn't believe my eyes. People are actually starting to become lazy enough to have to use a tracking device to find their kill. I believe that if you shoot something and wound it, that animal has the rite to try and survive and live on. With this new tracking device the deer would have a microchip in it so you could "easily" recover it. It should be illegal to place any electronics on wild animals. Especially when your trying to kill them. Sorry for the rant everyone. Tell me what ya think.

I agree. How does it work though? Is it attached to the arrow somehow and stays within the deer? What if you put a bad shot on a deer, the tracking device stays in the animal, but it lives? Now you can keep tabs on its whereabouts until you kill it? Seems kind of dumb.

Everyone wants their hand in the cookie jar and do whatever it takes to "make it" in the industry.

Interesting...I had not heard of this device yet. On one hand it would sure be nice to help a hunter recover an otherwise lost deer due to a poor hit, etc. On the other hand, I can envision several different ways that this could really be abused and used to track still living deer, which would potentially open a whole new realm of considerations.

I wonder if there is a life expectancy for this devise. I could see if it would only last 24-36 hours being a good recovery tool. I just would hate to see it change peoples mind sets on taking good ethical shots. I have a feeling this could be the case. I have to agree sounds kind of dumb.

Just looked one up, not sure if it's the same one you are referring to. Cost is $390 for one transmitter, receiver, 2 practice capsules, and retainers. Then $60 for another transmitter (in case you loose the first one!). $15 for a 2 pack of batteries. Batteries last 48-78 hours after the shot.

Not sure on my opinion of this, but can see the pros and cons.

I'm in the minority on this. It's a recovery tool. No different than using a tracking dog or lighted knock in my book. It doesn't aid shot placement, but in recovering the animal which is the top priority.

5 yrs ago there was something like "bow bug" or something. What is this product? Sorry if I missed when I skimmed thru. Remember 15-20 yrs ago with the string u connected to tip of arrow with 1000 yards of that super thin line? The good ole days! :)

I'm in the minority on this. It's a recovery tool. No different than using a tracking dog or lighted knock in my book. It doesn't aid shot placement, but in recovering the animal which is the top priority.

So you would use this then? I suppose it might be useful if you only got a tag every few years and didn't want to waste precious days in Iowa using woodsman skills to track something you just shot...

So you would use this then? I suppose it might be useful if you only got a tag every few years and didn't want to waste precious days in Iowa using woodsman skills to track something you just shot...

Yes I would use it, but I wouldn't spend that kind if money for it. My goal is to recover my deer. I do not feel this aids in harvest. It's simply a recovery tool. No different than tracking a blood trail with a flashlight to me.

Btw yeah check your PM IABW.

Hoosier,
I said something inflammatory. Its OK to call me on it. It was a rather childish remark.

Despite my immature comment, my feelings about item itself remain unchanged and I shall continue to look on its use with disdain.

I'm on the fence with this one... I suppose if someone wanted to use it for recovery, I dunno- there's nothing in my conscious that I can find wrong with that.
Use it to follow around a viable deer to kill at another time (as in - NOT recovery, using it to HUNT again) would not sit well with me.
I guess seeing lots of wounded deer in my life (no, most weren't mine - did have a rough year around 18 years old though!) - man, anything I could do to help find the deer..... sniffing dogs, groups of guys, etc...... I remember using a spray that glowed in the dark when it hit blood - ya, I used that. Then, I did try that string thing one time (obviously it's ridiculous) when I was a kid. Then, you all remember that hand held device that sensed body heat of a deer dead within 24 hours?
So, all in all - I guess I'm leaning towards being cool with it as long as it doesn't allow a hunter to hunt a deer from knowing its location. pure recovery of wounded animal.

I know there were a few times in my life I wish I would have had this technology. With that said, I don't know if it would be good or not. If the battery only last 3.5 days max I would not think it would hurt that much. With a bow, even if you knew where it was and still alive it would be pretty hard to kill if it was a non lethal hit.

I agree that it would not be that big a deal if someone used this but I am one who fears the slippery slope. It just does not sit right with me.
The buck in Livs avatar is the first buck I ever drew on in my life. I hit it but it was not a killing shot, it was a good shot opp I just sucked it up. If I would have had a tracking device in that buck I could, and would have followed it all over, harassing it, trying to get it to bleed some more, hoping to get lucky. Stomping through all the neighbors ground and pissing them off in the process. I think about that buck almost daily but I did not deserve it. As many of you know it lived to see the following season.
I am not a shot ethics Nazi but I do think some would use this device as an excuse to take shots that are past their skill level.

I agree that it would not be that big a deal if someone used this but I am one who fears the slippery slope. It just does not sit right with me.
The buck in Livs avatar is the first buck I ever drew on in my life. I hit it but it was not a killing shot, it was a good shot opp I just sucked it up. If I would have had a tracking device in that buck I could, and would have followed it all over, harassing it, trying to get it to bleed some more, hoping to get lucky. Stomping through all the neighbors ground and pissing them off in the process. I think about that buck almost daily but I did not deserve it. As many of you know it lived to see the following season.
I am not a shot ethics Nazi but I do think some would use this device as an excuse to take shots that are past their skill level.

I agree with what your saying but on the flipside I bet that buck above, with the non-lethal hit, traveled onto properties where you could legally track it however you could not bring a weapon legally if you did not get permission. If it is still alive and you do not have a weapon, you will not get it. If it is dead, then you will find it legally. I see what you are saying though.

Honestly, the price is so high I bet 99% of hunters would not bother with it though.

How would you be able to go onto others properties would be the question. If there is no blood, you cant track it without permission. So even if someone said no, and you could tell it was there, could you? It would open a lot of doors and questions, while could be great, I think it leads to many more downfalls :confused:

The more I read about the questions people have it raises concerns for me . I looked at it from the ethical hunter using it, but I didn't think about the unethical use. That part definitely scares me! The price point probably keeps most unethical guys out of the game to start, but we all know the price point will drop and the technology will accelerate probably to the point of a much longer battery life and who knows what else.

Top Bottom