Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dermestid Beetles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leadhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boiling does ruin your skull, no matter what people say. look at a beetle cleaned and a boiled one and you decide.
</div></div>

I've evidently "ruined" a ton of them then. I think it all depends on the technique used to boil them. Most guys over cook them and that can ruin them but the method I use turns out clean brilliant white skulls every time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boiling does ruin your skull, no matter what people say </div></div>

Leadhead. Boiling does not ruin the skull.

2006_0621xmas0001.JPG

I was just wondering if any of you have just left a skull in the woods in a wire box or something to keep it from getting chewed on and just let nature do the work? I suppose it would take a while, but I would think it would do the job.

I think that maceration is the best and easiest way to go. Pretty much put it is a rubbermaid container with warm water and let it rot away. Change every couple weeks till everything is gone. Very easy and requires no input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that maceration is the best and easiest way to go. Pretty much put it is a rubbermaid container with warm water and let it rot away. Change every couple weeks till everything is gone. Very easy and requires no input.</div></div>

But may cause a little "output" Very stinky stuff!!

I had the beetles for a couple years and they did a fantastic job. But I got tired of the upkeep. They need to stay in a place where the temperature is control... and the only place for me is in the house. They stink at times, and it seemed that a few always managed to escape, regardless of how hard I tried. Plus you need a heater with them, misted water every couple or so days, and a constant supply of dry meat.

If I spent a lot of time and descent amount of money I know I could build a nice cage with heat, but it wasn't worth it to me anymore...figuring I did only 10 or so skulls a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that maceration is the best and easiest way to go. Pretty much put it is a rubbermaid container with warm water and let it rot away. Change every couple weeks till everything is gone. Very easy and requires no input.</div></div>

But may cause a little "output" Very stinky stuff!! </div></div>

I have a pretty strong stomach but working with that stink for more than a few minutes and I get pretty sick feeling...works amazing though!!

Top Bottom