Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Des Moines Gun Shop Recommendation

davidblum

Hey guys,

I'm going to be making a firearms purchase sometime in the near future and just wanted to see what your recommendations are for Des Moines area gun shops. I'm looking for fair prices, knowledgeable, and good service after the sale.

So, where have you had good experiences?

Thanks,
Dave

Scheels has all the qualities you are looking for IMO and has full time gunsmiths on site. Anything I have bought at Scheels that has had issues has always been taken care of promptly with no questions.

Last edited:
Don't Scheels/Sportsmans/Bass Pro all match each other's prices if the cheaper place as has the item in stock, don't know about guns though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated.

I would like to purchase at a non-chain or box store and support a local business if it has a good reputation. It seems like reviews for gun shops are pretty hit or miss.

If your willing to make a trip, Skunk River Arms is a very nice gun shop with very knowledgeable staff. If you are looking for something in particular, he will order it for ya and has the cheapest prices I have seen anywhere! www.skunkriverarms.com

JT Guns in des Moines has treated me well. Great selection, service, and better prices than any big store.

What are you looking for?

Rhine Group in Ankeny is a great little family owned shop, however selection is lacking and what they do have is geared more towards tactical/LE market. Definitely not a hunting shop, but if you're looking for anything tactical related, they are really good and have reasonable prices.

I've found JT to be expensive. They are also geared toward tactical/LE, and the concealed carry crowd.

Sportsmans Warehouse has a great selection and reasonable prices for the most part. They arent a huge chain store and most guys are pretty knowledgeable.

I wont even look at stuff at Bass Pro or Scheels. They are both WAY overpriced.

Jack Smith on Hubbel Ave is another place. He has reasonable prices and carries quite a few new and used products, however he has been somewhat out casted due to some comments he made a few years ago that got published in the Des Moines register. He said something about how citizens shouldnt be allowed to legally own firearms or something along those lines.

Top Bottom