Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dialing in...

HuntNFish

Give it to me, lets talk groupings honestly, four arrows, three distances. How do you group in inches. I know we all touch arrows at 20, so lets say 30, 40, 50 yds...

At 60 I'm roughly in an 18 inch diameter circle. 50=10inches. 40=5inches. 30=too close, start robin-hooding if i shoot at the same spot.

Depends on my setup. My hunting setup on an average day.

30 - 3-4in
40 - 5-6in
50 - 9in or less I shoot groups at 50 about every third time I shoot. So like 1time a week?

I have no clue whatsoever what my groups would measure at the distances you stated. I'd hope to believe that out to 30 yds they're not worth measuring for what I do which is strictly hunt. After that I guess it would depend largely on how much practice I've had at the time. It's a very fair question but for what I do in the archery world, I'm more concerned with the ONE shot that I actually get in the field. And that one had better be good. If not, you'll hear me on here sulking about it...and nobody wants that. :D

I am with IowaBowtech. Someone told me one time that is was more about quality than quantity so I only shoot one arrow at a time. My focus is better that way and arm fatigue is less of an issue.

Usually by the end of summer/early fall I'm dialed in as good as I'll get. 30yds=awefully close, I'd say 3 inches +/-. 40yds=6 inches +/-, if I take my sweet time. 50yds I'm pie plate accurate, but don't shoot it often at all. It's too windy where I live to get a real grouping.

I can usually hang in there with my buddies. But unfortunately, I have made some costly bad shots/misses on bruisers in the past. I'm working through that though and am currently on a 9 deer shoot-and-find streak since my 2007 back-to-back heartbreakers on true Iowa giants.

Last edited:
It's my firm belief that if you practice at longer distances it will make you much more accurate at hunting distances. It also helps with judging wind. I make it a habit of practicing on the windiest days to simulate hunting conditions and then some. I guess if you expect to hunt only on calm days at 30 yards or less then that's all you have to practice. I would like to go elk or antelope hunting in the near future and <30yards with no wind isn't going to cut it for me. JMHO, happy hunting.

The longer you shoot the better shot you will become. I am a firm believer of shooting as far as you have yard. :)

I very but can at some points during the summer be consistent pie plate at 60-65ish.

Top Bottom