Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dibble bar specs?

Skully

PMA Member
Hey guys. I have 200 tree seedlings coming in April and I don't really want to drop $80 on a couple of tree spades so I was just wondering if anyone had specs on the one they use so I can weld a few up in the shop. I have access to all kinds of steel and a welder so I just need some ideas on how big to make the spade end, the handle and such. Figured some of you may have made your own and learned some do's and dont's. :D Thanks!

put in 3000 trees last spring and am getting ready to do another 3000 this spring. The spade that I used last year has a 5-6" wide head and a waist high bar with a T handle. With that said, If I was going to make my own I would taper the head so that the top is wider to step on. The inside of my knees were literally black and blue from banging on the metal post. Also I would put some sort of padding on the handle to keep your palms from hurting (get pretty sore after a few hundred trees). Just some ideas, hope this helps. One more thing, make sure it has some pretty hefty weight to penetrate the soil easier. :way:

I agree, little wider top of the blade would be sweet, keep your foot from hurting from stepping on it all day. Just over hip length and a little heavier than you'd think so you can pop thru the ground easier.

I Google searched and found a ton of images you could go off of.

The dibble bars I have seen (and own) are not big enough for most of the seedlings I plant from state nurseries. The one I have is about 9-12 inches deep x 4 inches wide or so. For most things I plant, the dibble would need to be 12 inches wide by 18 deep for things like this silky dogwood.

100_1332.jpg

Shrubs in general have much bigger root systems than tree seedlings and dibble bar planting tree seedlings would work much better.

I planted 150 seedlings in about 8 hours the other day with a shovel and I can guarantee the roots are much better off than being planted with a dibble as they are not all bunched up, j-rooted etc. They are spread out nicely like they were growing to start with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys, I will be putting them to use soon! :way: I am getting all conifers, mainly for wind breaks and to fill in where a few have died from previous plantings.

A buddy and I have 300 seedlings coming this spring and I was planning on going to my local rent-all shop and renting a powered posthole auger. The shop I talked to said they have a 4inch and a 7inch by 42inch auger. For the $36 rental fee I think its well worth it.

Top Bottom