Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Digging up some Concordia Oaks tomorrow!!

letemgrow

PMA Member
Looks like I am headed down to Concordia, MO tomorrow to dig up some seedings of the rare 3-way hybrid oak cross, (swamp white oak, dwarf chinkapin oak and chinkapin oak). I should be receiveing acorns this fall also from that cross.

Here is some info on the tree:

The population—which is now known as the Concordia Oak—is located approximately one mile west of Concordia, MO near the north rest area off
I-70, at mile marker 57.6. Samples of the one-of-a kind oak tree population have been put on display at the worldrenowned, National Arboretum
in Washington, DC.

The Concordia Oak is among the nation’s rarest trees. It was
discovered by Paul Thompson in 1974 aiding him in earning a
doctorate degree. As a long-time botanist, Thomas was working on a study of chinquapin oaks and was intrigued when he saw these unusual looking oaks. Thompson made his accidental discovery when his vacationing family stopped at the I-70 rest area just west of Concordia,
Missouri. Thomson’s study of the unusual hybrid was a lengthy process comparing samples of the new oak to more than 10,000 oak
tree specimens from the Missouri Botanical Gardens and universities across the nation. The tree’s scientific name is “Quercus X introgressa” and its common Concordia Oak comes from its proximity to Concordia.
The stand of original parent trees numbered just 13 specimens and is only known to occur in Lafayette County. This unlikely 3-way hybrid took many generations to form and has not been reported from anywhere else in the
world.
Highly Desirable Tree
Concordia residents familiar with this extraordinary tree can attest to its pleasing shape, wonderful shade and distinctive leaf formation. It is also known as a quick growing tree with a remarkable reputation for ruggedness. In late January of 2002 Concordia suffered the impact of an ice storm striking a large area of the state. The Concordia Oak (seen left in the photo below) weathered mother nature’s fury quite well while other species suffered significant damage.

Friends of the
Concordia Oak
With such a small population of extremely rare trees, concerned area residents took action. Marvin Petersen began growing Concordia Oaks on his property west of town. The importance of this action became
evident when expansion of the rest area inadvertently destroyed much of the
original population. Mr. Petersen, responsible for much of the drive to spread knowledge and preserve this unique tree, was joined by additional area residents who take great pride in this effort. Concordia Oaks now grow in Concordia public parks and additional towns in the area. They have been transplanted to memorialize Korean War veterans and as the
official tree of the Missouri State Fair Centennial
in Sedalia, Missouri.

I am going to try and get as many acorns as possible this fall. I can come down and pick away they say. If I can get enough I will have some to dibby out.

Awesome. It's pretty cool when you can get something that rare and localized to an area... and put it on your own property.

Do you have any pictures of a Concordia Oak? I looked online, but couldn't seem to find any.

They had a few pics of the tree in a PDF that the Concordia Parks and Rec sent me last year. I will snap some of the actual trees on the property when I go. They have one photo when an ice storm hit and decimated every tree limb on the trees around the oak, but it was untouched. Lots of oaks are like that tho I think.

Well I made it down and picked up about 50 Concordia Oak seedlings. The people that have the trees in their yards are very very nice. The lady was too kind, she already had them dug up for me and potted them so I could not ask for more!!! I went ahead and dug up a few more that were distinct from the rest in their leaf pattern. The lady is in her 80's and still gets around with the best of em!!

I just sent her an acorn wizard for her kindness and to help her pick up acorns in the fall. She hand picked 10,000 of them last fall!!! When I spoke to her son, Jon, he stated that they had a 3 year old tree that produced acorns which is exactly why I wanted this tree in the first place. The Concordia Parks and Rec should have some seedlings to give away this coming spring and here is their number if anyone wants to get in touch with them. Jody Bergman is the supervisor there that needs to be contacted at 1-660-463-4277.

Well I made it down and picked up about 50 Concordia Oak seedlings. The people that have the trees in their yards are very very nice. The lady was too kind, she already had them dug up for me and potted them so I could not ask for more!!! I went ahead and dug up a few more that were distinct from the rest in their leaf pattern. The lady is in her 80's and still gets around with the best of em!!

I just sent her an acorn wizard for her kindness and to help her pick up acorns in the fall. She hand picked 10,000 of them last fall!!! When I spoke to her son, Jon, he stated that they had a 3 year old tree that produced acorns which is exactly why I wanted this tree in the first place. The Concordia Parks and Rec should have some seedlings to give away this coming spring and here is their number if anyone wants to get in touch with them. Jody Bergman is the supervisor there that needs to be contacted at 1-660-463-4277.

Dang! That's awesome Phil! I think that's the number I called last winter right? I got on the list hopefully for some acorns!

Take good care of those seedlings!!!:way:

I'm bring this back up for newcomers to the site. And because I got my first 10 trees this week. The Missouri Dept. of Conservation has helped in making this tree mailable at their site online. Thanks to letemgrow for finding these. Also any of you guys that has had these for awhile please share your pics.

Cool info, didn't know anything about this tree, when I did my order with Missouri this winter, just added them for curiosity's sake.

Top Bottom