Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Digital Cams & Cold Temps ?

savey33

What are your experiences with digital cams in the cold weather? Any tricks to get them to perform good in the cold temps? Is it worth having them out?

Seems to reduce battery life so you just have to replace the batteries more often.
waytogo.gif

If you like running cameras, then of course its worth it.

Mine will be going back out as soon as we are finished gun hunting. Then the corn is going back out!
waytogo.gif

I'd really like to know for sure too, just to be confident enough t put one out here in winter. I've got a 60 bushell pile of heated oats out back in the pines and I'd kind of like to know who is eating it.
grin.gif

I borrowed one of my TrailMacs to a Saskatchewan Outfitter. In night time temps down to -12 F it took over 300 pictures in three days. Battery indicater still read "full".

It depends on what kind/brand camera you are running, but fresh batteries are the key.

Here at home I've left my TrailMacs out for 2 weeks in night temps at -15- -20 F. Worked just fine every time.

It hasnt been real cold yet, I suppose about an average of 0-10f, but my Cuddeback has been out for two weeks Sunday with the current batteries and it shows them still full.

Now, our trail cameras run off of rechargable 6 volt batteries (Moultrie). They can only be out for maybe a week in the temperatures in the teens?!?!?!?!? We took them down durring shotgun season, but after that, we will probaly put some corn out for them. We have never put bait out for them, only over a salt lick (but the deer don't use salt licks durring the winter).

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

My cuddebacks have been out everyday since July. This cold weather hurts the battery life a little but Im still getting 800-900 picts out of a set of batterys.. Not to bad for $4.50 worth of batterys...

Hunterman, the deer here in SW Wisconsin are still hitting the mineral licks despite 6+" inches of snow and temperatures dipping as low as -10. The just dig through the snow and go to town. Just an FYI.

I was always under the impresstion that they did not use them once the ground froze. I'll have to see what happens!

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Mine Works no problem, It passes the below zero test. I just pulled it out today to check pictures it took 100 since last Thursday. I'll post them later.

I'd like to know if those cheap moultrie one's would be alright, justm for a feed pilein the backyard, anybody think that the $100 Moultrie's will do the job for something so basic.

My cousin uses the Moultrie digitals and loves them. They take great pics for the money. He put one over our "scrap" pile on my farm. " We work up our own deer and use the scraps to lure coyotes for target practice". It got very cold this week and it took over 50 pics. The only problem we had on a couple was "white flash". The camera was pretty close to the ground and the night pics were all white from the flash reflecting off the snow. We got some yotes, crows, and a red-tailed hawk. Its fun to see what's visiting the pile.

Skully,
You metioned "white flash" You think it is from the flash reflecting off the snow? I had some of those on my Moultrie cam also, but I also had a couple that had a little of the top of the pic normal then the next one showing a little more. I figured that maybe the snow had filled the shutter lens up and caused it to be all white, then as it fell off more of the pic was normal.

MRH

when you put new batterys in take a sharpy and write the month and date on the battery, that way you can calculate how long the batterys will last!! Cold weather will use them up quicker, save them after they go in COLD weather for possible flashlight use OR SUMMER ONLY batterys were you can reallly drain them out!!

MRH, I have had spiders make webs over my lens and cause some white fuzzy pics. The night pics were the only ones "washed out", mostly white but you could see the outlines of the coyotes. I assumed it was from the bright flash bouncing off the snow?

Ive had my Leaf River digital out since at least Oct 1st and just changed batteries tonight. It did not take my pic when I approached it but I did have pics from today?? 193 pics this time, and I'm guessing at least 1000 on this set of batteries. LCD showed sensor batteries empty and camera batteries half full. I went ahead and changed them all to help with trigger speed in the cold.
My only complaints with the LR are the slow trigger speed and some of the pics are off color. Fantastic battery life though.

Top Bottom