Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disappointing Iowa Gun opener

Trapshooter1

Hunted Saturday and Sunday with a small family group, 7 people. Pushed a mix of Public and Private lands and it sure seems that deer numbers are down significantly. Hunted morning to dusk and only filled 1 tag. Some of the poorest group hunting I've had in a long time. (Talked to 3 other groups and they all said the same thing. Low deer numbers and very very few good bucks) I didn't see a buck with main beams all weekend) I heard 20 shots opening morning and 2 shots on Sunday.
With as poor as this last weekend was I'm tempted to not group hunt anymore and just sit.
Will be sitting in trees and blinds the rest of the season on private.
Hopefully will have better luck.

Hunted Saturday and Sunday with a small family group, 7 people. Pushed a mix of Public and Private lands and it sure seems that deer numbers are down significantly. Hunted morning to dusk and only filled 1 tag. Some of the poorest group hunting I've had in a long time. (Talked to 3 other groups and they all said the same thing. Low deer numbers and very very few good bucks) I didn't see a buck with main beams all weekend) I heard 20 shots opening morning and 2 shots on Sunday.
With as poor as this last weekend was I'm tempted to not group hunt anymore and just sit.
Will be sitting in trees and blinds the rest of the season on private.
Hopefully will have better luck.
We had EHD go threw here heard 4 shots around here all day I haven’t shot a deer yet with bow or gun worst year so far ever for me well there’s always next year I don’t even know if I really want to kill a deer around here this year .

Went on Saturday with my son. Never saw a deer. Heard a few shots but not until almost noon and that was it. Even driving home barely saw guys out, when in years past you would see the "orange army" in nearly every field and would see deer running everywhere. Just kind of strange.

Saw a fraction of deer should see normally in my opinion. No EHD I'm aware of in the area. Group killed a few but it was slow going. Although sat I heard more shooting off in the distance than I've heard in years. Visited with others that said the same thing. Sunday was exact opposite, dead quite. Crap ton of yotes. NE IA

It seems like more and more people are hunting 2nd season the last few years. I've always gone 2nd season, and would rarely come across other people.

1st season has been awful for me as well in central Iowa. Took a buddy and saw very few deer. I used to see 15-20 a day at least, we saw like 10 deer in 2 days of hunting. I think EHD contributed a little, but mostly the population seems lower. My public land cams confirm that as well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It has now become easier to kill deer in Iowa gun seasons. In shotgun you can now use straight wall cartridges which greatly increases killing range. In muzzleloader season, they now have muzzleloaders that shoot 300, 400 and 500 yards. So, I'm sure that has resulted in more deer killed and wounded than years ago. Almost everyone wants hunting to be as easy as possible nowadays, and that comes with a price of fewer bucks and lower age structure. Just think how quickly Iowa would lose its "great" status if crossbows, baiting in season, more nonresidents, and more outfitters were allowed.

I've talked to handful of kids at school in last 2 days that said their groups hardly seen a deer over the weekend. Had a buddy tell me this morning his dads group in west central iowa area had over 20 guys in it and never saw a deer sat. Seems to be pretty consistent reports from multiple groups and officers checking groups that i've visited with. Think their needs to be a hard push to cut/eliminate doe tags in certain areas of the state.

Groups around me have scrapped shotgun and now group hunt late muzzy- said it’s usually colder and deer are in the woods. So when they push- more deer.

Won't argue numbers are down, but with the warm temps so far, no real reason for the deer to move into the cover versus being out in the fields. Saw a lot of young deer so far, several older doe, but only one older looking buck. Several small bucks running around in the mix.

Groups around me have scrapped shotgun and now group hunt late muzzy- said it’s usually colder and deer are in the woods. So when they push- more deer.
Yeah, but once you fill your tag, you are tagged out and can't push the next drive. The group dwindles if they are hunting per the rules

Yeah, but once you fill your tag, you are tagged out and can't push the next drive. The group dwindles if they are hunting per the rules
They can push- they just can’t shoot a deer. They still carry guns to shoot coyotes. DNR says it’s perfectly ok because they have a valid tag for the season- even if filled. I know I don’t understand how that works

It was poor for us too. Saw 2 deer on the farm. Hard to imagine 130 acres in southern iowa, managed for deer, only had 2 on it. Did a push on the neighbors pasture with a ditch, kicked out 6 or 7. It was a bummer of a weekend for sure.

It has now become easier to kill deer in Iowa gun seasons. In shotgun you can now use straight wall cartridges which greatly increases killing range. In muzzleloader season, they now have muzzleloaders that shoot 300, 400 and 500 yards. So, I'm sure that has resulted in more deer killed and wounded than years ago. Almost everyone wants hunting to be as easy as possible nowadays, and that comes with a price of fewer bucks and lower age structure. Just think how quickly Iowa would lose its "great" status if crossbows, baiting in season, more nonresidents, and more outfitters were allowed.
Don't forget the shed buck season in some counties that you can use a .223.

I guess I'm an outlier this year.

Fingers crossed the overall drop in #'s and quality will drop Iowa land prices to an obtainable level.

Reactions: HWC
Coworker hunted 4 days of first shotgun, jumped all over eastern Iowa on public and saw 3 does without a shot. He’s talking about not deer hunting next year to spend more time waterfowling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw a Facebook friend posted there group shot 17 does- it’s a county that barely gives any doe tags out. Said they didn’t see a buck- but now next year they want to aim for 18 does but are aiming for 20. I’m glad I’m not near them

Your problem is your DNR is being run by more Left lean Libs every day. I'm a nonresident that's been hunting Iowa for 40 some years This year out of 28 days of hunting I saw few does. 17 bucks where 1 I'm saying 1 might have reached the 140 mark. Saw 2 bucks that were pushing the 170,,180 range, those were on your private leased land. I have watched whats happening in Iowa in other states. Wisc hunters thought their DNR wasn't doing a good job, they gave it to the state to run. Didn't take long! Ins. companies came in and gave everyone in the state legislative branch's pockets full of money! Peta in disguise as bird watches, conservationists, fought and won taking the true conservationist (hunters) money and turning millions of dollars back into bogus ideas! Wisc has glacier trials they call them running threw cities and towns! Thier a gravel path for your non conservationist that contribute (0) to conservation! But your dollars that should be going back to you for Maintenace, of your public hunting grounds and waterways and the wild game of Iowa, deer, pheasant, fish, etc recieve less and less.
I've hunted public land all my life in Iowa when lucky enough to pull a tag. Seeing 200 class bucks on public in Iowa was a norm for me. I hunted 4 different public areas this year while there. LMAO one of the once well maintained bridges were non drivable! Warden said no money to maintain stuff anymore. The public land itself LMAO,,I can't even explain that! cutting and leaving lay all the Hardwoods for I guess Prairie Chickens, and horseback riders! I had (Outfitters) , on one public ground had a flipping over 40 cameras, ever damn tree had a camera and he''''''''''''''''''''s bitching im walking in front of them! And why is a outfitter even aloud to put clients that he's making 4,,5,,6 thousand dollars a head on, on to public land when he has every farm in the area leased for his profit! You guys gotta get your heads out form where the sun don't shine and do something!
I hunted the Golden Triangle 50 yrs ago,,just like the pics on the cover of field&stream. Big Bucks walking on every farm,,,just like Iowa use to be. Could knock on a door and be invited in for pie and permission to hunt the farm. "Then the Outfitters came" they could care less about you, believe me! They shot it down, year after year like the locals said the bucks were shot down with NO regard for the farms they lease use and move on from! Your television shows! The Drurys started out in Illinois,,they had some good informative video tapes back then that caught the eye of outfitters and they moved on in. Took about 10 yrs for Illinois to get shot down! Where do you think all those outfitters went LOL. "Iowa"! They have everything leased. They've taking control of your public lands,,lol thats a joke but money talks! Your state is allowing new weapons to be used to fill their pockets with money and keep the money coming into them from the Insurance companies and organizations that DON'T WANT YOU ANYMORE! Money talks! Heck the head of your DNR was caught fishing without a license! Oh a computer cliché she says! LMAO Sounds like a democrat voter to me! Everything is a computer cliche for them but, YOU PAY! You bitch about Nonresidents,,lol I'd be bitching about your TV Personalities' that the greed of money has gripped onto. Their advertising even overseas! EHD, CWD, etc,,I saw signs for these viruses 50 years ago in Colorado. The signs were old rusty 20 year old or older back then!! Your state is killing off your deer herd and filling their pockets doing it! They could care less about you! Friend of mine just bought a hunt farm,,says its the future Alan. Fenced deer that the insurance companies approve. Fencing 10 feet high, permits, codes, taxes all going to the state. Their making sure they keep filling their pockets with money! As for you,,,your going to be driving a electric car, no gas stove, you won't have your guns either, they rent one to you when you go to the game farm to hunt for 10 grand!
I've taken 2 deer in Iowa in 40 some years! DON'T tell me its Nonresident hunters! Its you not standing up for your rights against the Liberals that are taking over your state and the GREED OF MONEY! I spent over 4000 dollars on my tag, fuel, eating out, hospitality, just having fun in Iowa this year hunting, and I ate my tag, not because I couldn't fill it! Because I didn't see a deer over 3 years old! Couple on private like I said, with your aerial surveillance signs and patrolled grounds, No hunting or looking at this 30 thousand acres, are least to fill our pockets with money farms by a cooperation that has bought into your state legislation and TV shows! Take Iowa, Kansas, Illinois and make them no hunting and you won't see the Sportsman channel, the Outdoor channel on your cable TV anymore!
I won't hunt Iowa anymore,,not because of the 4000 dollars I spent when I was there,,I use to love that my money spent was going back into conservation and local communities, what I saw this year and what your state has done is a embarrassment and shameful to conservation. I won't give 1cent to help ruin conservation!

Top Bottom