Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disgusted... Your thoughts?

HUNTNFISHIA

I was driving to work around 11:30am today and drove by a dead buck in the ditch. I've seen a handful of dead deer this year along roads and the interstate but was quite surprised to see a pretty nice set of antlers on this deer. My guess would be around 120". I continued on to work but kept thinking about the size of that deers rack and how it ended up dead. On the way home for lunch I tried to get another look but it was too far away and down in the ditch. I even remember thinking that maybe the city had already picked the body up since I could not see anything. After lunch I took the same route I took before to get to work and had yet another surprise when I drove by the buck. The head was gone! Someone, sometime between 11:30am and 3:30pm had cut the head off the buck in broad daylight along one of the busiest roads in the city. What does everybody think of this? Why would this person go to so much trouble to have the head and antlers? Is there a fine or punishment for such acts? I keep thinking that whoever did this is making us as hunters look bad in the public eye. Thoughts??

Technically, they shouldd have gotten a salvage tag and removed the whole carcass. Would be a good set of rattlin horns

I carry a saw with me everywhere this time of year. Though I have never cut the whole head off I have stopped and cut off many many antlers along the road. If I ever stumbled on an extra large set I wouod call CO for salvage tag but most of the ones I get are on the way to work in the am.

It doesn't bother me...if and only if...who ever cuts the antlers off would just kick the thing into the ditch...I hate it when you go home to get a saw only to come back and find the antlers are missing!!:thrwrck:

Here is a ditch trophy. Done legal with a salvage tag.

View attachment 1078

I don't know if just cutting the horns off is legal either you might want to check into that.

Mobile Cooter on IW

Last edited:
Yeah, basicly in 1hr of a Buck lying there the antlers are gone or the entire Deer. I saw a dinkish 7pt one day after school (3:15) came back in at 4 and it was gone. I don't have a problem with people cutting the antlers off, although I don't think it's legal.

What's so disgusting, who ever took it probably did a public service.
People keep driving by repeatedly, rubber-necking, could cause an accident.:rolleyes:

I have no problem with it. Would probably do the same myself. At least they pushed it into the ditch a little further.

Here is a ditch trophy. Done legal with a salvage tag.

View attachment 1078

I don't know if just cutting the horns off is legal either you might want to check into that.

Mobile Cooter on IW

I've just contacted the authorities on the above post!!! You're in BIG TROUBLE! :grin:
I don't have a problem with people taking the head, what's the other option? Just letting it rot & let the horns be eaten or go to waste? Doesn't bother me.

Sligh1 said:
I've just contacted the authorities on the above post!!! You're in BIG TROUBLE! :grin:
I don't have a problem with people taking the head, what's the other option? Just letting it rot & let the horns be eaten or go to waste? Doesn't bother me.

Thats fine....not mine or in my possession I was just the good friend that got the call saying " man a big buck just got hit on the road and I want it. I just talked to my brother( who is an officer) and he said I have to get a salvage tag and take the hole deer and I need help loading it up". Man was that nasty:)

The crazy thing was the car that hit it was no where to be found. I don't know how it drove away major parts of it were laying all over the road. Our guess was that it was someone that had a few too many, no insurance, or an illegal. Who knows???

I don't care if someone wants the horns. But I would be careful about just cutting them off would hate to see someone get a fine for not knowing.

Last edited:
I cut the horns every buck I find. Plus I live In the redneck capitol of the world ( Mississippi yea boy). We don't have tags so I get all the horns I can find

arrow flinger

One time I saw a guy on the side of the interstate sawing away on the neck of a buck, didn't bother me all that much but I'm sure a lot of anti-hunting people did not like that. The only part I find disgusting is when someone beats me to them, several times I've gone back to get a saw or come back the next day and I lost the race!

I have no problem stopping and getting me a nice set of antlers. However I never use a saw, takes too long. I simply cut around the neck with my knife, all the way thru the meat, then give the head a couple twists and, wahla! Gone in less than two minutes.

who needs a saw? sharp knife a few "crocodile death rolls" they pop right off...I have yet to do it to a "ditch trophy", but I"m not opposed to it

turtlshell said:
who needs a saw? sharp knife a few "crocodile death rolls" they pop right off...I have yet to do it to a "ditch trophy", but I"m not opposed to it

Ha, buddy of mine walked past one during shotgun season and ended up shooting the head off.

Top Bottom