Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DIY Elk hunt.

Has anyone on here done a DIY elk hunt recently? Its always been my dream to hunt an elk and I've finally got a pretty good amount of money set aside for it. Any specific state or season that you feel is the best to hunt? I am new to the whole thing and some of the regs and seasons seem a bit grey to me. Any information or suggestions would ne greatly appreciated.!

If you want to hunt in 2014 I would look into Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, or Idaho. Plan on putting lots of miles on the boots and you can not see elk for days and then when you find the herd be surrounded by 100. Any other questions, let me know... Good Luck!

I've done CO DIY the last two years and will probably go again. I've looked at the other states but for my money, time and limited experience CO makes the most since with OTC tags and the highest herd count in the country. After you decide where to go I think you need to decide if your going to do a pack in hunt with everything on your back or a base camp hunt. Also what weapon?
There are a lot of online resources. I like the Western section of ArcheryTalk, Rockslide.com and elknutforums.com. Check out elk nut esp. for calls, calling info and techniques. Start watching campfire.com for gear.
Good luck! It's not easy, sometimes frustrating and humbling but still a blast. I have not killed one yet but had several close calls and that's enough to keep me coming back.
Almost Forgot
GET IN THE BEST SHAPE YOU CAN!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

I would like to hunt 2014 but I am also willing to wait if need be. Would you recommend bow, muzzy, or rifle?

I'm archery all the way but I'd say thats a personal question. With a gun I would have easily killed multiple times. We archery hunted CO last year and overlapped into muzzy week. We still got into elk, maybe even saw more due to all the extra hunters out but I would prefer not to be there at that time frame again.

GET IN THE BEST SHAPE YOU CAN!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

So true!!

Your weapon totally depends on what you are comfortable with and what your goals are. If you are willing to wait I would build preference in Colorado and Wyoming, try to draw a premo unit in New Mexico and hunt OTC in Colorado or Montana while you are waiting.

I've done 8 DIY trips to Colorado for elk. Had the best luck during muzzy season, but that can take 2 or 3 preference points. Now that I have the gear, the cost is $500+ for the tag, $500 for gas (hopefully split with another hunter or 2), maybe a hotel bill 1 night. I don't count food as you gotta eat anyway. So, it can be done for around a grand. If you don't have any of the gear, the first trip can be expensive.

So true!!

Your weapon totally depends on what you are comfortable with and what your goals are. If you are willing to wait I would build preference in Colorado and Wyoming, try to draw a premo unit in New Mexico and hunt OTC in Colorado or Montana while you are waiting.

Very true, but don't forget that Arizona consistently produces some of the biggest bulls in the country every year.

I'll agree that the trip itself, minus whatever gear you have to but before hand, can be done for about a $1000.00 to $1200.00. If you have to by everything it depends on your chosen style of hunting.

I cuss myself all the time waiting until the age of 39 to go on my first western hunt and getting one DIY is a personal goal. As far as drawing a tag in a premo unit I have looked at all the options and building points for a a top unit just does not make since. It will just take to long. I think it would be more cost effective to roll the dice in New Mexico. They have a straight draw, no points. Otherwise, I will just pop for an outfitter or trespass fee if I ever feel the need to up my odds for a big bull.

Very true, but don't forget that Arizona consistently produces some of the biggest bulls in the country every year.

I would love to hunt Arizona, but when I looked into it the pp costs and wait had an opportunity cost that was prohibitive. If you have any good suggestions for units that are under the radar feel free to send us a pm!

I would love to hunt Arizona, but when I looked into it the pp costs and wait had an opportunity cost that was prohibitive. If you have any good suggestions for units that are under the radar feel free to send us a pm!

Our bonus point system is like a raffle, in essence. You can get drawn with one point or you can wait 6-12 years and get drawn. I know some units that you have a better chance of getting drawn with fewer points as a NR. The biggest hurdle is buying the mandatory NR license to apply (and buy a bonus point). If you get drawn, great. If not, you're sitting on a NR license, although there are other options for hunting other game in AZ.

Top Bottom