Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DLC Covert II

He is one of the older ones on this place. Too little of a rack to shoot but a very mature deer otherwise. I have pics of him for the last 3 years, maybe 4. Every time he comes in, the IR light seems to bother him just a touch. My only downfall with the DLC is there was water in the case after a heavy downpour and the seal was intact just fine, case was closed up like it should.

Wow, this is with the new style cams that are in the cases with latches on the side, like the pelican cases used to make homebrew cams?

My only downfall with the DLC is there was water in the case after a heavy downpour and the seal was intact just fine, case was closed up like it should.
Shredder,

I found this passage in the Bushell Trophy Cam evaluation on Chasingame and I'm assuming when they say predecessor, they mean DLC, but I can't guarantee this. Worth a look on your cam either way.

05-22-2009 update: Though it has hot been reported on this camera, its predecessor has yet to have another issue which may have also been incorporated into this camera. This deals with the two plugs that fit in the holes that were in the back of the case when they molded the strap loops into the case. This process left two holes that they chose to fill with two plastic plugs. The predecessor camera has the problem that causes the plugs to pop out if the strap is tightened and the camera is on a un even surface. This would cause a water leak if the plug comes out and falls inside the case. If you hear a pop when you tighten the strap then inspect the area under the strap loops to see if one of the plugs has moved. My tests with the predecessor cam broke very easy, but I have yet to check this cam because they are deployed in the woods and it will be a week before we visit that area. Being the design is so very close we would rather be safe than sorry about reporting this.

Dang, so if it does that, then what? Send it back? I hope mine doesn't fill with water!!!

Just put my Covert II out (4 of them). Put over mineral lick with all duracell batteries, full and new. 2 gig card. How long (roughly) do you think it will take to run out batteries? Quite a few deer (high density) and pics in past. (for example, could I leave them out a whole month?).

Other folks notice the red glow spooks somewhat? I saw that above and heard elsewhere BUT heard Covert II is a bit better. My Cuddeback's absolutely spooked deer like crazy with IR. I would use Cuddeback's for ONE WEEK and then move it because pics would go DOWN in volume each day the IR spooked them. Similar for Covert II OR leave out longer in regards to spooking deer (couple weeks, month, etc?)

Really looking forward to seeing how these babies work out!!!

Dang, so if it does that, then what? Send it back? I hope mine doesn't fill with water!!!

I'd try to identify the source of the leak. I'm still not convinced Chasingame was talking about the DLC Covert case, though. One thing I noticed on my DLC Covert is that the o-ring around the door pulled out of the channel when I opened the door and once I shut it with the o-ring out of place. I've started checking that closely each time I close it now. I've never noticed water in mine.

Just put my Covert II out (4 of them). Put over mineral lick with all duracell batteries, full and new. 2 gig card. How long (roughly) do you think it will take to run out batteries? Quite a few deer (high density) and pics in past. (for example, could I leave them out a whole month?).

My money (if I was a betting man) would be that you will fill the card before the batteries go dead. It's all a crap shoot though, as I've never used only 4 batteries in mine (I use 8) and I've used Lithiums, which I got 4 months out of (kind of puzzled about that). I once left the camera over a lick for three weeks and a 1GB card filled up 2.5 weeks into it. It came out to around 1,000 pics. These cameras store the images in a jpeg format that uses compression algorithms, so no two pics are ever the same size. Daytime color pics are always larger than black and white night time pics. I'm currently logging how long and how many pics a set of 8 Energizers (non-lithium) will last.

Other folks notice the red glow spooks somewhat? I saw that above and heard elsewhere BUT heard Covert II is a bit better. My Cuddeback's absolutely spooked deer like crazy with IR. I would use Cuddeback's for ONE WEEK and then move it because pics would go DOWN in volume each day the IR spooked them. Similar for Covert II OR leave out longer in regards to spooking deer (couple weeks, month, etc?)

I'd leave it over a lick, force them to get used to it now. I haven't compared IR cameras that much so can't comment on one brand spooking deer more than others. I did have a series from January where a 3.5 yr old buck bedded in front of my SG550 for a half hour and it took pics when he moved his head. It didn't seem to bother him too much. I think the IR video clips is where you get to see the deer's reaction to the IR. I had a clump of grass the other side of the deer trail from my DLC Covert. A doe came up and stopped and looked at the clump of grass that must have "glowed" from the IR.

Getting ready to place an order for a Bushnell Trophy Cam, just to see how I like the "latest, greatest".

Thanks!!!!
I did notice that rubber ring came off EVERY ONE of the FOUR cameras when I opened it up. I put a tiny bit of glue on each one to hold it in place. Hopefully that does the trick. I've had so many bad experiences with Trail Cams (every variety of problem you could think of on several makes/models) - I am so HOPING I have found the answer with these Covert II's!!!

Top Bottom