Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Hunters survey

Just a topic starter,
I am having a hard time putting my completed survey into the mail box.Last year I thought it was a great idea,then after the amount of tags this year,the amount of pressure from groups wanting the deer gone,seeming to hit a nerve with someone, I just hope my reporting what I see in deer numbers are not hurting my hunting.
I really respect Mr.Suchy and all of his hard work. But it also seems his hands are tied at times.
What do you think?

I had thoughts of that at first, but then realized without any GPS coordinates they really can't identify where the problem areas are. Sure they have down to a specific county, but as you know, there are some farms in the counties that hold more deer than others, due to pressure and hunting availability. I think it still could be improved....

I know a large amount of the deer I see are the same ones I've seen on previous hunts. I wonder how they deal with that factor.

...I also wonder how they account for differences in visibility from the stand. Most of the stands I hunt I can see no further than 50 yards in each direction. I know some stands that I have hunted in the past that I was able to see for a half a mile. Saw far more deer from that stand but not the kind that I am trying to hunt. Just thought that information could be included on the survey as well. Might help determine densities a little better.????????????

Hunter surveys are not an exact science but will add more data to the pool and hopefully add another dimension to the population estimates that are conducted each year. If your interested in understanding a little about how the DNR does this go to this DNR page.

How many deer are there?
by Willie J. Suchy, Wildlife Biologist

http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/drmany.html

Thanks for the info WJS

Tineseeker

Top Bottom