Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR public ICN meetings

I have never heard of the "Governor's Hunt Back Up" - what is the deal with this and do you have any more clarification? 75 Governor tags each year, you're saying 65 or so the Governor does something else with them? I just want to make sure I understand this all right and all that is news to me (and very well could be true, not challenging you in the least) & wonder if you could explain a little more.
I had 4 guys I know apply last year for these Celeb Tags - 2 got them and 2 did not. All 4 laugh at how silly the program is while they are applying and taking advantage of it. The 2 that did not get them had gotten them before and they estimated they previously reached and impacted 50,000+ people in their application letters which justify why they did a good job the last time or something like this. Their response to me was that the "decision makers" felt they did not have the reach & impact they would like to see compared with others reaching far more. That part was more feedback and opinion they expressed to me after not being picked.
There was some tags approved for wounded vets last year, I am not sure how that all played out and how many are allocated to what anymore? It's for sure got more hush hush and private as they don't want to share public information on a damaging program that can't justify itself other than buddy-politics. Wish we could get some concrete public updates & information we have the right to on this subject.

http://thegazette.com/2013/01/07/branstad-bags-eight-point-buck-in-governors-deer-hunt/

http://northiowatoday.com/2014/01/0...of-muzzleloader-for-deer-hunt/comment-page-1/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-22/celebrity-deer-hunt/52745192/1

A few years ago I suggested if Iowa used the Gov tags to promote Iowa, they would get alot more exposure, goodwill, and bang for the buck if they offered it to groups like Make a Wish or Wounded Warrior and forget about all the Hunting Celebrities. Good lord, how many ways can the hunting industry show us how to kill a deer.

Back in 2009 I had looked into getting the governor's tags fro Wounded Warrior Hunts. Their suggestion.....get IA vets to hunt in IA since they can get tags....didn't sound like they really cared.
Here's the email response I received.

[FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Harrison, Ross [DNR] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:46 PM
To: Travis Lambert
Cc: Jones, Cindy [IGOV]; Nissen, Lisa [DNR]
Subject: Iowa Governor's Deer Tags - Found word(s) find out more in the Text body[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Travis,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Governor Culver asked me to respond to your recent inquiry about these tags for wounded veterans.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As you suggested in your email, yes, these tags are established by administrative rule to go to individuals who can best promote the state and its natural resources, such as TV hosts and producers, outdoor writers, and the like. They have been fully allocated for the coming deer seasons.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your best bet for an Iowa deer hunt for wounded veterans would be to make it available to Iowa residents. If you would contact the Iowa National Guard, 515-252-4582, and ask for the public information office, I am sure you would find them cooperative in helping you find veterans who would appreciate the services you offer them for such a hunt. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa[/FONT][FONT=&quot] does offer disabled nonresidents who are 21 and younger the opportunity to obtain a nonresident deer license. You can find out more about this at:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.iowadnr.gov/license/deadline.html. Scroll down the page at this site to an explanation for these tags. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ross Harrison[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa[/FONT][FONT=&quot] DNR[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]502 E. 9th St[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Des Moines[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT], IA 50319
[FONT=&quot]O: 515-281-5973[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]F: 515-281-6794[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]C: 515-250-3198[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][email protected] [/FONT]

Yes I went and I thought there would be a lot more people there. It was a good meeting will it do any good prolly not but I have a gut feeling the late doe season ( shed buck season) will be done. I just don't get why people don't care! We need to get involved. This is my first post as a new member you will be hearing a lot from me

I thought the meetings were really good. Very impressed. I got there about 20-30 mins late because of family stuff but stayed the whole time. I tried getting in my "top 4 threats to deer hunting in Iowa" but only got 2 of them in :) Great ideas and discussion and the guys there were for sure a top caliber of guys that had some great things to bring to the table & organize.

What were the other 2?

What were the other 2?

1) Farm Bureau's lobbying & donation interests that will trump biological decisions through the Governor. (Such as Governor veto-ing DNR recommendations the last round. And the fact they do have multiple full time lobbyists and are in the top 20 donors to Brandstad)
2) Shed buck season, AKA, Late Antlerless season.
3) Governor tags. Promotion of the state has led from 2006 or so having a draw time of every other year to every 3 or 4 years in the 2012/2013 seasons. Over-promotion is having vast negative impacts but later on, if folks have to wait 5, 7, 10 years to hunt here (many don't care, I understand that) - there's going to be a giant fight coming and I think the hunters who want NR allotment to stay the same will lose this battle down the road. That part is strong opinion but there's huge damage that's been done and will be done from Gov tags (obviously u could what others have posted before on the many other negative aspects of the un-justified program)
4) Loss of habitat. Hundreds of thousands (if not more) net CRP acres coming out. Much of it being 10-15 year growth that used to be thick and incredible habitat - back to bare ground. Then, beyond the CRP - I think we all see frequent blocks that are all clearing every tree they can, pushing out any bit of timber they can, ditch rows, etc. It's a very sad thing to see for a variety of reasons like wildlife, water quality, most being poor farm ground, greed, etc. My own family does it and it's upsetting to see.

Deer very well could follow the history of the Iowa Pheasants in many similar ways.

I'm not sure if the seminar at the Deer Classic this weekend titled "Deer Listening Forum" is a similar meeting as we had Wednesday night. Can anyone verify that it is or is not?

If so, it would be another great opportunity to voice your concerns with the direction of deer hunting within the state of Iowa.

Top Bottom