Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dnr road block 29 south Sgt. Bluff

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

Everyone is being routed into the rest area I29 south in Sgt. Bluff Iowa. DNR is checking all cars trucks suv's, anyone who has been hunt fishing or trapping then has to pull into another area for further checks. Anyone ever seen this?

Yup... I have not personally seen it in Iowa, have in WY, MT & MN. It'll give those who think that once they are on the road they are safe a little something to ponder.

Never heard of them doing this in Iowa, let alone on this side of the state. It'll be interesting to hear if they caugt anyone with anything illegal.

I am thinking that with a lot of the out of town guys here working at CF Industries that is a big part of it. Just my speculation.

This seems like a 4th amendment violation. Randomly searching vehicles of anyone hunting or fishing? Who are they, the Gestapo? I'm no poacher and I hate those that do it, but this is wrong.

This seems like a 4th amendment violation. Randomly searching vehicles of anyone hunting or fishing? Who are they, the Gestapo? I'm no poacher and I hate those that do it, but this is wrong.

You wouldn't be against this if you had a trophy animal taken off your land illegally! And if you do everything legal why worry about there checks? I am with the rest and hope they start doing this everywhere.

Dnr can come check my house any time they want. Check my truck anytime. I'm surprised when I see them and they don't even come over and check me. They are the protection for wildlife. Get over it.

Dnr can come check my house any time they want. Check my truck anytime. I'm surprised when I see them and they don't even come over and check me. They are the protection for wildlife. Get over it.

They have to have a reasonable suspicion you've committed a crime. They don't just randomly search every house that has a hunter living in it. Believe it or not they are not above the constitution. Get over that.

Per the law a Leo needs a reason to stop a vehicle. Once legally stopped he is looking in the vehicle for other violations. I can't recall the case law but I assume the law, which has been upheld, that applies to dui checks applies here. Once stopped if they can establish you've been hunting I guess they're taking a look. This is debatable and precedent law changes all the time; it does fall under the protection afforded by the 4th am re searches lacking probable cause.

Last edited:
Celebrate this and they will be kicking your door in at 3 AM to see if you have 7 roosters in your freezer. Be careful for what you wish for.
I have rights that don't allow that without probable cause. The roadblocks are no different then DUI check points. All they do is briefly make contact with the drivers and make sure there is nothing illegal in plain sight. If you allow them to search your vehicle that's your choice.

Top Bottom