Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR's harvest report chart

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
:mad:Can someone explain where I go on the site to find the current up to date chart of the deer harvests so far. IMO there site is such a pain to find stuff snice they changed it

Good lord....Allamakee must be absolutely loaded. As well as Clayton.

Maybe some places but it was absolutely SCARY how few of deer we saw while bowhunting this year as well as the total lack of does in the trail camera pictures (Bucks outnumbered does at least 2 / 1). The properties we hunt are scattered about a 5 mile radius area as well. This is the first year I've ever been skunked on a stand out there and it happened more than 5 times this year.

Not as many as guy thinks, it is getting scary like shadowpeople said. Far less does than bucks, numbers have completely switched in the past couple years.

Bigtime difference from 5 years ago. I work with a guy that shotgun hunts the late doe season with a group. I think 3 years ago he was quite proud of the 100 and some does they shot during that season. IDIOT.

Good lord....Allamakee must be absolutely loaded. As well as Clayton.

Allamakee and Clayton make up about 1500 sq miles and the harvest has been about 5900 so far between the 2. With all of the timber and prime whitetail habitat we have up here, I would say 5900 is pretty piss poor! It's not comparing apples to apples when you take the 4 NE counties and compare them to the rest of the state if you ask me. We are almost our own state up here! God's country :D But seriously, we have the majority of the timber and state land in the whole state, so it's not a fair comparison. Take it from someone who spends A LOT of time in the woods. Our numbers are WAY down. Still some really good managed farms that hold good numbers, but for the most part the gunners are working alot harder for em this year.

How do the numbers compare so far to last year? Are we on track to a lower deer harvest? It seems like it from what I can see.

2005 or 06 I believe the harvest was like 212,000 deer and has been steadily decreasing. Last year it was somewhere around 127K I believe. I think last year after 1st season we were around 85- 90k and as of right now we are at 72k. I will be surprised if we get past 120,000 this year. I think these numbers are fairly accurate, I would have to go back and look to be exact. I'm sure someone else can tell you exact numbers. Usually the 1st season shotgun hunters kill more deer in 5 days than the archery hunters kill all year, but that was not the case this year.

Bigtime difference from 5 years ago. I work with a guy that shotgun hunts the late doe season with a group. I think 3 years ago he was quite proud of the 100 and some does they shot during that season. IDIOT.

Exactly and thats just in one area... They're not shooting no where that number of deer now... prolly not even seeing half of that...

When you put the numbers together, it's pretty amazing to think that the buck to doe kill ratio is almost one to one when you consider the number of doe tags the state continues to crank out!!!

ALLAMAKEE does put up some pretty good numbers at times.But, dont get the impression its an easy hunt. There is very little stand hunting and driving deer or slow organized pushes are the norm. It is family tradition for most.
Now if you are looking at the numbers and thinking " I should go there cause there are tons of deer", you may want to think about your trek prior to visiting Gods Country. Out of State and Out of County plates WAY outweight Allamakee co. plates. The pressure is overwhelming and encroachment is at an all time high. Trespassing laws are so UN-enforcable in Iowa, that tempers run high and results are mute. I have been fortunate to enjoy this tradition since the age of 7. Shotgun hunting is the only time my father and I KINDA see eye to eye. I hunt because its in my blood, he hunts because it in MY blood. My absolute fondest memories are of Iowa shotgun hunting. With that said, the presure is finally brought me to the point of hanging up my 4 $1000 shotguns and walking away. 38 years of fond memories and now the people are just plain dis respectful and rude....the fun light may have burnt out.

ALLAMAKEE does put up some pretty good numbers at times.But, dont get the impression its an easy hunt. There is very little stand hunting and driving deer or slow organized pushes are the norm. It is family tradition for most.
Now if you are looking at the numbers and thinking " I should go there cause there are tons of deer", you may want to think about your trek prior to visiting Gods Country. Out of State and Out of County plates WAY outweight Allamakee co. plates. The pressure is overwhelming and encroachment is at an all time high. Trespassing laws are so UN-enforcable in Iowa, that tempers run high and results are mute. I have been fortunate to enjoy this tradition since the age of 7. Shotgun hunting is the only time my father and I KINDA see eye to eye. I hunt because its in my blood, he hunts because it in MY blood. My absolute fondest memories are of Iowa shotgun hunting. With that said, the presure is finally brought me to the point of hanging up my 4 $1000 shotguns and walking away. 38 years of fond memories and now the people are just plain dis respectful and rude....the fun light may have burnt out.

Well said. Unfortunatley from my experience it is not just the shotgunners. What ever happened to courtesy?

This year has been my all time worst hunting year. I hunt three different counties and have never been skunked as many times as i have been this year.
I still hunted all day today over 3 acres of standing beans and 2 acres of corn and only seen 4 deer.
I am dreading what next year is going to be like.:(
I sure hope they ease up on the doe tags so we might start seeing some more deer in a couple years when the population rebounds.

Top Bottom