Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do Deer Even Use Switchgrass?

Here's a clay hillside I seeded Indian and Big blue (it was clay and rocks so didn't do switchgrass. I'd say it hid more than a rabbit, my bro is 6'2" and this was only its second growing season. 3rd and 4th season it got taller and thicker yet. We were tracking a deer through it and I snapped a shot on one of my old farms.
picture.php

I vote Switch and Agree , I have yet to see a Late season NWSG stand that's wasn't. Switch is better year round cover in my opinion...

Switch is great cover and stands up better than Big Blue & Indian grass in the winter. Probably less talk about that because most (if not all) CRP programs require a mix, so that's what gets planted most often.

Yep, I agree with above, Switch will hold up better with snow.
For diversity, I do the mixes with BB & Indian, etc and I do those on my rougher areas. Indian especially will thrive on your more poor soils. Switch usually gets planted on my better soils (as it grows better there). When I do switch, I usually do 7-8 lbs cave in rock and 2-3 lbs kanlow switchgrass. Kanlow adds to mix because it gets taller than CIR but it's a little more thin stemmed than CIR, less dense. So both compliment each other.

Top Bottom