Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do know what "Poach...Poacher...Poaching" means?

R

Rembrandt

I'm surprised at how many do not know the true meaning of "Poacher or Poaching". Many think it is the illegal taking of game...Webster's defines it as...

"Poach...to tresspass on another's game preseve, in order to steal animals or to hunt"

"Poacher...a person who trespasses on private property to catch game illegally"

"Poaching...the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowners permission"

From my observations, looks like a whole lot of Poaching going on out there....

Don't know about the poached eggs....but I think it's high time we start calling trespassers by their correct name...Poachers.

Does this mean that it is impossible to poach deer in public hunting areas because your not trespassing??? I think your Webster's dictionary definition is a little incomplete.

I'd say the common interpretation of hunting or fishing illegally encompases people trespassing while hunting too, since trespassing is an illegal act.

Rembrandt, what brought this up??? Is your point that they do not have to be sucessfull to be poachers ??

A scumbag by any other name is still a scumbag. Go ahead and call them poachers, weasledicks or anything else if you want.

IaCraig

So "Rembrandt" what are we going to call a person who lets say shoots a deer, at night, in a road ditch, along a gravel road, with a high powered rifle?

[This message has been edited by BrunoBuck (edited 12-27-2001).]

Originally posted by BrunoBuck:
So "Rembrandt" what are we going to call a person who lets say shoots a deer, at night, in a road ditch, along a gravel road, with a high powered rifle?

How about not too bright? :)
G6

I think we can call them all criminals?
That works for me. From the ones who steal stands to the one's who high power deer.
Just my thoughts!
BOWDUDE

IaCraig...we were discussing the meaning amongst friends, the common understanding was that game must actually be taken for the person to earn the title. When we looked up the definition in the dictionary, it refered to trespassing while in the pursuit of game or fishing. Not what I had thought a poacher was....wondered if anyone else had misinterpeted the term? Poacher has more of a stigma than trespasser...don't you think?

I think Bowdude has it right...anyone else that takes game illegally is a criminal...amoung other things....

[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 12-27-2001).]

Top Bottom