Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do You Hunt Small Game with a ML?

blake

Life Member
I have harvested a few cottontails with my Knight .36 in-line, I usually carry it with me when I shed hunt if cottontail season is still open.

I have been thinking about attempting to make a dent in the “Tree Rat” population on several properties I hunt with my muzzleloading shotgun before the bucks start to shed.

I have several neighbors who like squirrel meat and they are willing to clean them. :grin:

<O:pHow many of you hunt small game with a muzzleloading firearm?

feedback.gif
<O:p</O:p

picture.php

my .50 cal would blow them to smitherines
Down load and aim for the head. For you guys thinking that those high priced sabots are all your inline will shoot, give a patched round ball a try with lighter loads. Contrary to old wives tales, the fast twist rifling of the modern in-line will usually shoot a patched round ball with acceptable accuracy at close range with light loads. For.50 cal. try around 35 to 40 grains powder to start with. Lot's of power isn't needed to kill a bunny or squirrel, and your shot distance will be close so long range accuracy isn't needed.
I've used my .54 flintlock for almost 30 years hunting squirrels to deer. I can't even begin to count how much small game it's taken. I generally use around 40 grains for small critters.
Flintlockbunnies-Copy.jpg

Now that I built my .62 smooth bore, it's works well with shot for small game. But I really hate picking shot out of small game, let alone the smell of shot killed rabbit.:( I probably will use it if the need arises, buy prefer to use a single ball instead of shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom