Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe harvest

I really find it hard to imagine that there are significant genetic differences in the deer on your section versus the "next section over" (unless there is a very tall fence involved ;) ) I don't know what the answer is, but I just can't wrap my head around it being genetic differences. Bucks just range too far during the rut for that to play a major role in what you are describing.

I know, I hear you. Sounds crazy. Wouldn't you think having a section next to ground owned and managed by Lakoskys for the last 10 years would make a difference? I would think so but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe their food sources are so good and doe numbers so high the bucks don't have to go far. Everyone who bowhunts the section i'm in does a good job of letting deer walk. Maybe we have a poaching problem and don't know about it? For whatever reason, there is a big difference between what we have and what they have. If the buck fawns would relocate one mile then I would think I would see a different antler characteristic or trait as these fawns mature. It's a mystery to me why it is so different.

I thot deer numbers were down. Thot everyone was layin off does? If l see. An 8 that is 4 yrs old l am tickled. Who cares how big the rack? A 4
Year old 6 is great. I know to each their own. If big scoring antlers are your thing. Go for em!

I thot deer numbers were down. Thot everyone was layin off does? If l see. An 8 that is 4 yrs old l am tickled. Who cares how big the rack? A 4
Year old 6 is great. I know to each their own. If big scoring antlers are your thing. Go for em!

IMO, it varies from area to area whether numbers are too low, just right, too many, etc...AND it is a constantly moving target. I would also say that if your field observations tell you that you are "just right" at this time...then you better be shooting some does now because "just right" can quickly become "too many" if you don't take some does out along the way.

IMO..."we" erred greatly about 10-12 years ago in not taking enough does out of the herd all around the state and then experienced a population explosion...which then resulted in draconian measures to reduce the herd AND then we had widespread EHD die offs and suddenly...there are no deer!

It is human nature to "swing the pendulum" overly dramatically in response to problems, and IMO that is what we did over the past 10 years or so. So now that populations are bouncing back up in many areas, although I still feel as though there are largely "missing" age classes of deer older then say 4 years, it is wise to adjust our take of antlerless deer and try to avoid another boom/bust cycle.

On the particular farm in referring to I'd say we are somewhere between 2-3:1...doe to buck ratio...I think to keep the herd in check and have a bit of a more eventful rut then I need to take some out...I took two does down this weekend and probably will do so again this weekend but like Daver said some areas are better than others...some on here know where my lease is and they can vouch that there is just a lot of deer in that area for sure...and I also like to eat venison so shooting quite a few is fine by me!!

I know they drive the buck fawn from their core area but i'm talking about a square mile section. That fawn can find his own core area away from Mom in a square mile can't he? With intensely managed bucks on the next section over you would think I would get their buck fawns if they were driven off so far by their mothers. But we don't see the neighbor's genetics very often. They shoot absolute giant 10s and some non-typs and 90% of what we see are 8 pts. We have excellent cover and food. The bucks are able to mature also. I'm not saying I target older does so the buck fawn sticks around. I'm just trying to eliminate the older gene pool. I don't know what else to do fellas. I can't kill all the 8 pt bucks. What other options do we have?
a buck gets 2/3 of his antler genetics form his mom

On the particular farm in referring to I'd say we are somewhere between 2-3:1...doe to buck ratio...I think to keep the herd in check and have a bit of a more eventful rut then I need to take some out...I took two does down this weekend and probably will do so again this weekend but like Daver said some areas are better than others...some on here know where my lease is and they can vouch that there is just a lot of deer in that area for sure...and I also like to eat venison so shooting quite a few is fine by me!!
like I said, 30%=stable herd

I shot an old doe Sunday that had 3 fawns with her and was pregnant with 4 more. We were just curious since she had triplets with her if she was pregnant with 3 again. To our surprise she was pregnant with 4 fawns. Love shooting those old ones that walk around just looking to bust you in the treestand.

I like to shoot old, young and anywhere in between when it comes to doe management. I would say that the best time of year to take a few is before they get bred. I don't know much, but when you shoot a doe after the rut, good chance she is pregnant. Aren't we potentially shooting a doe that has been bred by the buck who's genetics we want to be passed on?

All I'll say is I'm not hunting where some of you guys are hunting. Only place I can bring myself to shoot a doe is in town on a management hunt.
I'll add that what you're seeing now as far as numbers may not be a true indication of your areas herd numbers at any other time of the year. Sure most of you know this.

I like to shoot old, young and anywhere in between when it comes to doe management. I would say that the best time of year to take a few is before they get bred. I don't know much, but when you shoot a doe after the rut, good chance she is pregnant. Aren't we potentially shooting a doe that has been bred by the buck who's genetics we want to be passed on?
Trying to control genetics in a wild herd is a ridiculous concept. Pass on bucks if you want to see them bigger the next year otherwise in the big scheme you will never make a bit of difference. there are more small bucks breeding your does than your few big ones.

Been a long time since I took genetics class but I'm pretty sure that is not correct, regardless of what famous author said so. :rolleyes: Just don't work that way.
and to rephrase it's not 2/3 but they get more genetic expression on antler characteristics from the doe

you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

Yup... Half the DNA comes from each parent. Doe's genetics can only alter 50% of what mature buck antlers will be.

and to rephrase it's not 2/3 but they get more genetic expression on antler characteristics from the doe

You'll have to define that a little better as to exactly what that means before I can believe that more than half the genetic potential of antler size, shape or whatever comes from the female... and some scientific references (scientific, not famous please) would be helpful. Thanks...

Top Bottom