Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe still with fawns

Nontypcl1

This year I've been seeing a lot of doe that still have fawns with them. There are never any bucks following them when I see it. I don't think I've ever seen so many doe that still have fawns tagging along this late in the year. I even saw one with twin button bucks following her. Whats the deal? It's not normal or is it?

Has anyone else been seeing much of this?

Sure, I've been seeing a lot of does being hounded by bucks but when I see a large doe group or does with fawns and no bucks around it makes me wonder what's up. This past sunday I saw 2 groups of 6 doe by themselves, no bucks. What's the deal?

I see the same thing this year. Many doe and fawns walking around with no bucks following. Normally, I see a doe coming my way, I grab my bow and clip on. This year I grabbed my bow too many times just to hang it back up with no horn following. This is in WI, not in IA, but I see the same deal as what you are saying.

A lot of the adult does have been bred and picked thier fawns back up.Last week one day I thought I was hunting in a nursery school.I had deer around me all day.Never went 5 minutes without seeing a deer.BUT all were fawns.No does around at all.Every now and then a dink buck would come in and run them around a few minutes then leave.Yesterday from the same stand I was 5 or 6 does with fawns.No alone fawns.
I would guess that very soon those fawns will be chased around by bigger bucks.At least thats what I am hoping for.

I kept having the same doe and her twin button bucks come under my stand early in November every morning, by the morning of November 9 I'd already filled my buck tag and my antlerless was burning a hole in my pocket. The button twins are now orphans.

For quite a few years now I have hunted the rut almost everyday from Oct 30 to Nov. 15, some years later than that when I get a tag for Iowa, and this is the worst rutting action I've ever seen. Very little daylight activity from mature bucks, very little to no chasing and hard seeking by bucks. This year I was out every morning in a treestand hunting from Oct 30 til November 19 before daylight till at least 12:00 noon each day, and often til 1:00 or 1:30 pm. Some days I'd go back out from 3:00 til about 5:15 (or end of shooting light) The 30th and 31st of October were BY FAR the best days I had through this whole time. Lots of chasing, seeking, and bucks seen following/tending does. Then, it's like the switch got turned off. Yeah, I've seen a couple decent bucks since, but nothing at all like normal, and as you said, lots and lots of does around with their fawns and NO BUCKS following or coming through to check them out. It's been very strange. I know there was breeding going on the 1st through 15th cause people would see them tending does, so I don't know why it was so different what many people saw from the treestand during this time. The last 10 days of Oct I did quite a bit of long range observation after work and I saw lots more buck activity during this time than I normally would and quite a few big ones got shot around here during that time. It almost seems like the rut was 10 dayse early this year?? I've heard the same thing from many hunters that this has been a very strange rut, like a trickle rut. Bill Winkie says the same thing on his website: http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/publish/posts/1017/rut-report-november-19.html

Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing, or has it been a typical rut for you??

thanks

I agree. The most rut activity I have seen was late Oct. early Nov. then it died off for me. I really hope it picks up soon cause I have my tag in my pocket. I do not give up easily though.

Saw a doe with what looked to be a buck fawn 11-18 thought that was very odd. Not positive it was a buck fawn but it look like he had little nub and he was only 10 yards.
I agree worst bow season ever. But I still got 5 days off to try to get it done.

Why would it be very odd to see a doe with her button buck fawn on Nov.18.I wouldn't call that unusual at all.Does that have been bred will pick thier fawns back up.
The rut will keep becoming less and less intense as the doe numbers drop.When the does are all bred in an area the bucks move out to find some receptive does.You can't keep hammering the does and expect a long intense rut.

Yes, does will usually have their fawns with them or close by this time of year unless they are in heat or close to coming in to heat. The weird thing about this year, is that usually during the rut, it is common to see does by themselves because they are either in heat or close to it, and bucks are chasing, trailing, or tending them. This year, I saw very little of that. As someone else already posted, usually when I see a doe coming during November, I'm expecting to see bucks coming behind her, but that hardly happened this year, usually they all had their fawns trailing them. Once they are bred or go out of estrous, their fawns rejoin them just as archery95 said.

Early rut

I must have been in the right places at the right times because this season has been absolutely outstanding for me. Grunting and rattling has brought in more bucks this year than ever before. Granted most of them are little farts, but still. I had my statewide tag filled on Nov. 5 and I could have filled it in Oct. They were definitely rutting early this year in my area. Like I said right place right time.

Top Bottom