Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe with antlers!!!!

8 point doe

Hi my name is Anthony Graper I'm 14 years old and I am from Kalona, Iowa. The evening of December 1st 2001 I seen a nice 8 point thatI couldn't pass up so I drew up and fired once at 18 yards and dropped what I thought was a buck, yes I said thought was a buck! When I went to go look at It I thought man this is my best buck yet, I was wrong! Because it was not a buck in fact the wide spreaded 8 point was accually an 8 point doe!!! So we called the local DNR and they said that it was the first in 15 years and that it only happened ever 1 in 100,000 deer or so. They also said that it was in it's gene's and it had messed up horemones.
A week later I was in two big city papers and a guy called and said that in the 1960's he shot a 7 point doe. Anyways I was wondering if any one knows of someone who shot a doe w/antlers? I would like to know because I'm trying to start a recored book.

Check out Weird Whitetails. It's a magazine published by North American Whitetail, and there's an article in there about a MONSTER 23 point doe. It goes into some detail about how that happens to a doe and stuff like that. It's a great magazine, and there are some wild deer in there

I found it on a magazine rack at Hy-Vee, and it's still getting advertised in Whitetail, so you should find it. If you don't, I'll dig up my copy and give you the details.

A guy in our shotgun group shot a half rack doe about three years ago. Huge doe with alot of fat and some velvet shreds still hanging on the antler. He went to pull the "buck" by the rack and it came off in his hand. You could tell from the pedicle that she once had a full rack. Maggs

What did u say that the name oh the magazine was? I'll look fo it thanks

I don't think its that "uncommon" for a doe to have antlers. My dad shot a 8pt doe back in the 1980s that was still in velvet. It was shot in November. I know of another guy who shot a doe with antlers, and he had found the sheds from that buck two years in a row, the sheds were still in velvet and so was the rack when he killed the deer.

hey buddy it was the last one in 15 years, just think about it, k? And the DNR biologest told me that it was really rare even more then 1 in 100,000 deer maybe. Where bouts r u from? must not be Iowa.

Don't want to start a fight but if there's only one in 100,000, but only the second one in the last 15 years, it doesn't add up. There's been a lot more than 100,000 deer harvested in the last 15 years. I'm sure that only a small number of them would even become common knowledge. People are just throwing numbers around and none of them have any basis in fact. Take it easy.

MN Hunter is right, I think. It's not as uncommon for a doe to grow antlers as most people believe. Most just don't get to the stage where thier antlers are fully grown. You'd have to check me on that, though.

Be careful 8 point,attitude may get you attacked by the others.. Don't worry though, there are some of us on here that have their own opinions. I would have to say that a doe with antlers is a rare find. I've hunted for 20 years now, and I've never seen one. And no one in this area has ever got one that I know of! But the guys are right, as far as the numbers go. I wouldn't say one in 100,000. I would say closer to one in a 1,000,000. Regardless, it's awesome! Congratulations...

8pt, as my name says. I am a Minnesotan. I live about 20 miles north of the Iowa border. However, the other person I was referring to shot his "doe with antlers" in the Decorah, Iowa area. And he shot his deer within the past 5 years, so yours wasn't the first doe shot with antlers in the past 15 years. Maybe in your area but not in the state. I checked on the Iowa DNR webpage and it states the the deer population in Iowa is around 450,000. Take into effect your statements and there should be a handful of does with antlers roaming the land of Iowa.

Yo i'm sorry dude didn't mean to be disrespect full or anything like that just a back day so i'm sorry man k? i didn't know u were from minnasota never really looked at the name sorry dude i thought u was from iowa and trying to tell me so crap but i beleve u know that really cool and hope that u didn't take it the wrong way. and I whould like to appologize to everone else here on the site too.

hey mn hunter did ur buddy reaport the deer to the dnr? but maybe ur sourses are diffrent because Joe Wilkinson, the person who wrote the article on me told me that the othe dnr officers said that the last one was shot in marion 15 yrs ago and that there wasn't any others reaported since then but i'm not saying that it was true or anything and hey do u have pics of the doe or the guys e-mail address and maybe we can comepare stories and pics, thanks a lot man and oh ur father shot one too u said do u have pics of it too? and once again i'm sorry for my additude and will watch it next time. take care man.

I always respect a peerson who stands up and takes responsibility for what he's said.

My point is easy to figure out. There are roughly 100,000 deer a year shot in Iowa on average. If antlered does are shot about 1 in every 100,000, that would be about one per year or 15 in the last 15 years. I know of one in northcentral Iowa about four years ago. It too was still in velvet. I don't think they have the proper hormones to go through the normal velvet and antler shedding process like a buck does.

I've talked to a lot of people who have seen or shot a doe with antlers and surprizeingly all of them told me that the doe with antlers did have there velvet still on when either shot it or seen it. But the doe that I shot did not have it's velvet on it. All it had was a little strip about an inch long on the base of it's antlers and came off when we took the deer up to the house. Now I have another question has anyone seen or shot a doe w/antlers that didn't have it's velvet on the rack still? I think it is weird that out of about 6 people that I have acually spoke to on the phone told me that the doe they shot or seen was still in velvet and mine was the only one that didn't have velvet on yet and strangly it's rack was one of the most pollished racks that I have seen.

8pt. The guy I knew in Iowa that shot the buck with antlers was a friend of my buddies. They had a fallening out a few years ago and I don't have a picture of the rack and I am unsure to whether or not he reported it to the DNR. I don't have a picture of my dads but I could take a picture of it and post in on here if you don't believe.

Hey Mn hunter I beleve you I just would like to see the pics of your dad's deer i'll post mine too. Thanks a lot buddy.

Top Bottom