Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does a buck keep certain rack characteristics?

shedhunter93

PMA Member
I have a young buck on trail camera with triple beams and I was just curious if anyone knew if he would keep that or would he lose it? I know a buck doesn't always keep a drop tine if they have one but i didn't know if this was different.

Last edited:
I have seen it go either way. I would say 60% of the time they will keep it, but I have also seen them all the sudden not have a 3rd beam. Its hard to say. Sounds like he will be a good one!!

Ya at first I didn't know what he had and then I got some more pictures and its a third beam. He's a first rack buck and if he could live for a couple years and keeps that beam, he'll be a good one, and the area is awesome hunting with a lot of nice bucks.

I have pictures of one a few years back that had 2 drop tines and after those shed, he has never grown them again??? A lot of characteristics tho will stick around such as vein tracks, beam shapes, base stickers, and burr characteristics.

50/50 shot he will grow like that again

Ya, I hope he does. My dad shot one 6 years ago that had a drop tine the year before he shot it and the next year he had no drop tine, we have his drop tine sheds.

Top Bottom